1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Curtis+ New GMC= Dead battery WTH???

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by mikefras, Dec 30, 2011.

1. mikefras

mikefras Member

Put a 7.5 foot Curtis on my 11 Sierra, where is a good spot to connect the "switched 12 volt power lead" from the plow harness.
    Dealer connected it to the positive post on Fuse/Relay box and killed battery in 2 days.
    Not impressed on the first real snow fall of the season and no truck

2. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

hi. try taking an automotive 12 volt test light with the gator clip to ground and touch the test light's sharpened probe tip to the positive post that the dealer installed the harness wire to. if the post is "hot" all the time,(key off, test light lights up), thats your drain. the plow harness wire should be tapped to a circuit that is only "hot" when the key is in the start and run position. hence the "switched 12 volt power". i recommend taking back to install dealer and advise them of this problem for the correct fix for this is a dealer new install.

3. Kwing1120

Kwing1120 Member

also make sure you don't leave the plow in float. that will kill your battery. i have the older controller and make sure to shut it whenever i am not using the plow because float uses power and if you leave it there by mistake you will have a dead batt.

4. mikefras

mikefras Member

I tested the point of connection when I recharged the battery, it was hot all the time. They were not sure of where else to connect to.I added a toggle switch to the wire but I would rather have it attached to a swithced ignition source. Thats the problem.. its a 2011 GMC and its hard tapping into the circuuits before the module so no other problems happen.

5. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

well, u could use a standard 30/40 amp 12v auto relay. get them at any parts store. it will only take like 1 amp to turn the relay on, so tapping into any switched source is not a big problem. choose a non computer sensitive fuse. install a 1 or 2 amp fuse inline with this supply wire for safety. hook this wire to relay #85. run a ground wire to relay #86. then run hot wire, with inline fuse rated with same plow harness fuse rating, from that always hot post to #30 on relay. run the plow harness wire with the fuse to relay #87. use insulated crimped female spade terminal ends for the relay connections. this system acts as an automatic toggle switch with lower current draw than the plow harness uses. i use relays for all my high current needs in all wiring installs i do.

6. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

7. mikefras

mikefras Member

I was thinking the same thing, I just need to find the right wire color to use a a switched source

8. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

best way is to use Add-a-Circuit fuse. locate your fuse to use in under hood panel, choose the proper Add-a-Circuit fuse size. but remember to add another inline fuse to the add-a-circuit pigtail. this inline fuse needs only be 1-2 amps for relay on circuit. heres a link. http://burnhydrox.com/shop/images/medium/bp-hhh_MED.jpg

9. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

If im not mistaking, the 12 volt outlets (aka cigarette lighter) on most vehicles are switched not a days. I used this through a relay for switched plow power on my 2011 Tundra. Been good for over a year already.