1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New CT DOT Towplow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 2004F550, Feb 22, 2010.

1. 2004F550

2004F550 Senior Member

Anyone seen the new CT DOT towplow in action on RT 8? Talking with a friend from the Winsted District 4 garage they received it earlier this month and it was all mounted and ready for service, I'm not sure if this is a pilot program or there are some in other districts?
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Towplow? As in a tow truck with a plow or a plow you actually tow?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  3. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

4. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

serch tow plow on here there are acouple threads on it
  5. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

yes i have seen it wen they were testing it a couple of weeks ago up near the state garage... its very impressive...I didnt get to see it up close there were a ton of state guys around that thing...
    not sure what they need it for on rt8 its not that big...
  6. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

What keeps the towplow in the offset position?
  7. plowking15

plowking15 Member

If you look closely in the video,the wheels steer to the right to bring the trailer around for plow to push. Truck has to have good traction,ballast for that to work. I'd like to see truck tow plow together in real deep snow. Wouldn't be feasible for secondary roads,too narrow and ditches. plowking
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if you do a google seach there are a couple of videos out there where it hits a pretty good size pile of snow. suprisingly it doesnt cause the truck to roll over and explode.
  9. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

How is this better than a wing truck? Seems a lot more cumbersome.
  10. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Minn DOT has a Video on You Tube of theres in action on I 494 around Mpls
  11. Brian in MO

Brian in MO Junior Member
    from NE MO

It sounds like Mo has a lot of these things. I live here and I have never seen one, but when I do I'll have to stop and watch it.
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

that is amazing!
    sven1277, the savings is cost. you don't need another truck, the tow plow looks to be 18' long, a wing plow is what 10'?
  13. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fdV-fWaCoe8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fdV-fWaCoe8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KBRQPk5sd4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0KBRQPk5sd4&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/caZMiQ4w5tI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/caZMiQ4w5tI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  14. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Interesting. Let's just hope they never bring them to Illinois. The productivity rate would be WAY too high, and the IDOT workers would file a grievance.

15. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

anybody find any pictures of the connecticut trucks yet? I am curious to see what trucks they are being pulled with in ct. All the pictures i see of the tow plow in other places it is a tri-axle or at least a tandem axle and all of connecticut's tandems have wings on both sides, and i am not sure if a a single axle would have the power for that. i see how they can save money though, two trucks with the tow plow and a single axle with just a front plow to go along the gaurd rail would clear the width on most of the major highways. Thats only three trucks/three drivers instead of the normal five or six truck/five or six driver crews. That would save the tax payers some serious coin.
  16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Everytime i see threads about this it still ceases to amaze me how well this thing apparently works considering how many towns and HW departments that are now using them.
  17. triadpm

triadpm Member
    from 21771

Probably would need alot of horsepower to pull that. Is the spreader like a vertical drop spreader? I didnt see a spinner.
  18. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

This thing seems very cool, and totally unnecessary. The only upshot to this is the de-icing option for the second blade path. Wing plows are probably more effective, definitely more adjustable. I'm curious if you need a co-driver with the tow plow like you do with a wing plow.
  19. heatmizer

heatmizer Junior Member

tow plow + new assaloni E90X extension plow...WOW

The tow plow is great alone but have you seen it with the new Assaloni E90X plow. It has two telescopic extending elements. Combined the 2 plows and you get a clearing path of 33ft. What a combination!

20. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Good lord...