1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New corn burners

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by x.system, Oct 23, 2010.

1. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Spent the last 2 days putting together corn burners and silos for the shop. Took a good day to put the 2 silos together. Spent the next day setting them and assembling the hoppers and augers and setting up the burner. Still have 1/2 a day left on the other burner. Our radiant heat will now be our backup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

thats pretty sweet

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

From that pic it would look like you are feeding hogs in that shed. :jester:

ps Tham ain't silos. :drinkup:

4. Williams Ex Co

Williams Ex Co Junior Member
    from Iowa

Looks like an A-Maize-ing furnace. I have one that heats my house and its awesome.... About3300 square feet and it can run us out with the heat. I think I have only had it on its highest setting a few times.....

5. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

how many bushels does each one hold?

6. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Each bin holds 3.5 ton and they said that will leave a 2 to 3' air gap at the top.

7. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

how does this thing work?

8. x.system

x.system Senior Member

There's an auger in that tube, you turn on the auger, fill the hopper inside (they say once a week) then the corn burner will feed itself from the hopper.

9. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

That's pretty cool.

10. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

WHats a set-up like that cost ya?? How do you fill the silos? go up a ladder with a 50lb bag of corn and dump it in?? I have no idea. lol

11. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

They probably use an auger.

12. cretebaby

An auger truck like this for an example.

[​IMG]

13. x.system

x.system Senior Member

Delivery truck with an auger will fill them. We got this stuff back in June but I think the furnace was about $2800 with a hopper and I want to say $2600 for a 3.5 ton bin and auger setup.

14. Marek

Marek Senior Member

how long will that heat your shop ? What size is the building ?

15. x.system

x.system Senior Member

2 shops, 48x80 and 48x60 I've been told I should be able to last all winter with 1 full bin for each shop.

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How much does it cost to fill the hopper?

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

So this is a forced air corn burner. Are you putting more duct work on the top.

I am thinking about heating a shop with in floor heating using a Wood Burning Boiler. I know nothing about either one of these systems.

18. cretebaby

Is burning corn still economical with the price being fairly high like it is?

19. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I still have to have a heating and cooling guy come out and run duct work and exhaust. I also have to get an electrician to wire it up.

If you have the option of in floor heat I would go that route.

We have propane, radiant heat now (5 heaters). It works nice but last season our propane bill was about $1500 per month, $3000 to fill it every two months. Right now we can get cleaned corn for $7 a bushel delivered. It would have to get up over $9 a bushel before propane could even compete. The smaller shop only needs to be 60 degrees so that corn furnace will be set at the lowest setting. The other shop will be set at around 68 degrees so its comfortable to work.

20. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

so how many bushels does each silo hold?