1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Contracts?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by born2farm, Sep 26, 2011.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

How is everyone else doing as far as selling new contracts this year. I am not talking about renewals, just new contracts. I have been calling and talking my but off the last couple weeks and can not get anybody to return a phone call, let alone let me submit a bid. I have got all of my last years to renew but only two new ones have let me submit a bid. Just wonering how everyone else is getting along. I am starting to get nervous as winter is getting close.

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you leave them the right call back number?
    I did something where I kept giving potential clients my competitors number.
    I didn't get many clients that year. :laughing:

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

some people wait till the last minute to sign up

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

People are not worried about snow right now..... they don't even want to think about it!! I wouldn't worry about it yet.

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

95% are resigned from last year.

250+ NEW bids put out for the season.....

7 no's
    3 yes's
    240+ undecided's

0 returned phone calls.

Amount of BS spewed by me to woo new customers? can't put a figure on that......

6. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I bid out two new commercials this year. One yes, one no.

We already have snow on the peaks and that gets people moving around here. We should have snow on the ground in about a month.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Everyone is playing the how low you can go this year.Of course I raised my prices!

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

That's why I have to play the #s game, no low prices here!

9. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

i havent heard **** from anyone. the local school had their meeting. i got that account back. but other than that. just waiting. gonna make follow up phone calls this week. you know what they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. or a restraining order

10. born2farm

Ya I know what you guys are saying. Just a little nervous as this year was the first that I really went out a targeted commercial work hard. I keep calling but when does it get to the point where its annoying. I call once a week and nothing yet.

11. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

accounts

98 percent of my same ones are a go a couple new ones. I here ya on those calls. If you want it bad enough you will keep trying. It sucks but we always have a few stragglers. I offer a discount if it gets signed before october. It works on a few.

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I've got 2 bids that are going out this week. Still working on pricing for one. I would rather not have the business if the money isn't there. I'm in business for a profit not to just trade dollars. If people think I'm to high they can call the lowballer. Born2farm don't be nervous just keep working hard at new customers

13. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

Smart idea on the discount. Gets the paper signed before they started getting other calls from competitors. Thumbs Up

14. born2farm

Thanks guys. Ya I offerd a discount on my residential stuff if they signed by October 15th. I have not gotten any new phone calls, but maybe my phone will be busy on October 14th. I am going to keep calling these places. Like you said I am not in it to exchange dollars, but if it takes breaking even sometimes to keep both trucks running then I guess thats what I have to do to grow,

15. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

called today and got 2 new lots with one company. gotta love it, people are starting to make up their mind.

16. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Got everyone back from last year, working on a few new things. People just arent ready to think about snow yet. I just hate getting everything together last minute so I like everything planned out so it makes it difficult for me sometimes cuz in the end you dont want to say no but at the same time you dont want to take on too much.

17. Shamrock80

Shamrock80 Junior Member

I haven't heard **** from anyone either, have a guy that has a good bit of money(family money) that just low balls the **** out of everything. Found out he bid 1k on a residential drive for the year. How the hell i'm I supposed to get work with him bidding jobs like that.

18. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

I havent heard back from a single commercial property I bid on. And up here we are likely to get snow in the next few weeks.

I bid on 5 new properties this year, and I was hoping to get at least 2

19. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Cold calling isn't easy. Try to imagine what it's like for the secretary to answer that phone all day, especially now w/ every unemployed & homeless person who owns a shovel calling & add to that every other contractor who's challenged w/ their own business matters. In between they get to take calls dealing w/ complaints, carpet cleaning solicitations & every other service that's as hungry as you are.

You have to finesse your way through to the decision maker, or as close as you can possibly get to them. Monday mornings & Friday afternoons are the worst times to call almost anywhere. Restaurants usually like to be called around 2:30-4:30 pm. People like to hear their name, so ask for the secretaries name and repeat it, use it again when you say "thank you", use it again 3-4 times if you can make any conversation. If they want to vent about anything, let them. They are used to being abused and feeling unappreciated, but it never gets old hearing kind words. If they sound really busy, ask when the best time would be to call back...or offer to call that person directly so you don't have to bother them again.

Keep a log book & take good notes. Remember that if it looks like a good account to you, it looks good to everybody else also. The harder it is to reach the right person, the more worth wile the chase. It takes practice....lots of it. If you wait for a cold call to return your call, you will always be waiting.

20. shortboxchevy

shortboxchevy Junior Member

what exactly do you mean by cold calling? Just calling and leaving a message with anyone "regarding snowplowing"?