1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Contract Need Assitance in Pricing

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by sellerslawncare, Nov 12, 2013.

1. sellerslawncare

sellerslawncare Junior Member
    from Roanoke

I have been offered the following contract. Priced per event. Your thoughts and advice will be appreciated. Please keep in mind we are out of mid Virginia.
    Per Event- 328,000 Sq Ft
    2"-4"
    4.1"-6"
    6.1"-9"
    9.1"-12"
    12.1"-15"
    Over 15"

Also need help with Salt Pricing.

Equipment used:
    F250- 7'6" Standard Duty Boss
    F250- 8'6" Western Prodigy

Untitled.jpg

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

where is the snow getting piled? Hate to say it, but I dont think you should do this job, it's too big for 2 3/4 ton pick ups.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Since your there,don't you get more ice then snow?

4. sellerslawncare

from Roanoke

BC Handyman - Snow can be piled along any curb. Nothing near structures or light poles.

Grandview - We get some ice. Depends where the storms come from. Our average storm is 4"-6" depth.

Let me know your opinions. Id like to see if it were worth my time or not. Thanks again.

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

6. Pool&Plow

Pool&Plow Junior Member

I'd figure how long it would take me to plow a 2-4" storm, figure my fuel costs etc. and then add what I wanted to make on top of that. No way I'd touch that for less than $650 per push. I think 2 pickups is a little under equipped for a lot that size too. Be that as it may, $650 for 2-4" and $250 more for every increment above that, there's a lot of asphalt to clear. As far as salting it depends if you're using bulk you store, or if you're buying it per load from someone else. I think $300 plus material isn't a bad starting point.

7. grandview

Anything over 2 inches there they close the city down,so he'll have a week to clear it out.

Over 15" it would like like this.
    [​IMG]

8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

How did you come up with these numbers? Seems awful low to me. I ask, because in another thread you were pretty steadfast that an acre is worth $200. Now in this thread an acre is only worth $56.

You seem to be pretty anxious to throw out numbers for these guys not having any idea what their costs are. I would venture to guess the "going rate" is much higher in VA where they experience much less snowfall than MI (where you assumed 200/acre).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  9. sellerslawncare

from Roanoke

Another question, Is a loader a must have for a job like this. Also what kind of time would we have in a lot this size as I am new to a lot this size.

10. Pool&Plow

Pool&Plow Junior Member

IMO, Yes! I figure that if you can put the snow in a few designated areas and not all into one spot, one good size loader with a 14' pusher and one pickup with the prodigy could have that lot knocked out in about 5 hours from first drop of the blade to completely cleaned up and salted. Timing of the storm would have a huge factor in that timeframe though. It's also a little hard to figure it exactly with just looking at the picture. I think my pricing was a little soft too. How many pushes per year do you get? What's your hourly truck rate?

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Yes loader would be nice. But You could do it with out just need more trucks with wider plows then your 7.6 and 8.6 plow
    You need few Wideouts or 9.6 Vplows with wings

I say time frame 4-5 hrs with your setup in a 2'' snow

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

In most large lot threads I get told I am WAAAAAAAAYYYYYY to high.
    So I take a stab and guess lower...only to be told I am Waaaaaaaayyyyy too low. And, I get flack for offering a guess where a guess / opinion was asked for.

Guess I will just leave this site to you experts.

13. grandview

Well before you post roll these.

[​IMG]

14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You have to remember he can do a acre in "a few minuets" :dizzy:
    He is all over the place with advice and prices. Not sure how he understands other's costs and locality, maybe he is Wile E Coyote. :rolleyes:

15. Buswell Forest

from NH

Yeah...none of us can be right all the time

16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

7 1/2 acres
    2 trucks COULD do it but a good plan would have to be in place. I have done that many acres by myself at times but not to often and it takes a long time using 1 truck.

17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Well on your salt you didn't list What type of spreader you use and what kind of salt bag salt or bulk

18. Buswell Forest

from NH

Just an FYI, if you're going to insult me, at least quote me and not someone else.

19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You'll know when I insult you. I have yet to do so.

20. Buswell Forest

from NH

Maybe you were insulting the other guy.