1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Concrete????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by J.Henderson, Dec 3, 2002.

1. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

I have done a search and still cannot find what I need. What is safe on new concrete? I have a couple of condos to take care of this winter and need something to melt the snow and ice. The concrete was poured this summer. Is there anything that will work?

2. Season 2 Season

Season 2 Season Junior Member

I've read not to use salt for the first year on new concrete. It also needs to be sealed if it has not already. Good luck.

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

if the job was donr right it should be air-entrained concrete. rock salt is corrosive to concrete. use calcium chloride.

4. Innovative

Innovative Junior Member

Until the concrete has been allowed to cure for one full year...we do not recommend using any ice melter. The problem occurs when you increase your freeze thaw cycles, which happens with any ice melter. You can use sand for traction, or if you do decide to use a product, MAG has a longer melt phase thus less freeze thaw cycles than Calcium and Sodium, but you may still encounter spalling issues.

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I asked the concrete contractor at the job today what the problem is with salt. He said that when the melted snow, which is now salty water, soaks into the concrete it refreezes and expands. I pointed out that all water expands when it freezes. He said, "Well, then salt water must expand more!"

I'm skeptical.... :rolleyes:

I'll try to find a more concise explanation somewhere else.

6. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

The problem lies in the freezeing and thawing cycles, not the amount of expansion. you might look into various treated salts and/or liquids and see if one is offered as "safe for new concrete".