1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Concrete

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by RONK, Sep 14, 2014.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a property with new concrete walks,what ice melt product can I use that won't damage the new concrete?Thanks.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Use straight salt, I do with no problems.

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

In my experience doing sites that are new is that using salt the first year will void all warranty that property owner has from contractor.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

All depends on temperature.

5. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Salt it heavy and get it dry before nightfall, you won't have any problems.

6. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

What????.........Please go into further detail....:help:

7. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Yea what if all that salt gets hungry for a midnight snack??? That new concrete is a goner! :salute:

8. Defcon 5

:laughing:...Its not only "Hungry" salt we have to worry about....Now its "Heavy" salt....:eek:

9. lilweeds

Any deicing product can harm concrete. Mag and cal are chemically worse then salt. What typically destroys the walks is the liquid refreezing. The ice expands and messes up the surface. Use a good shovel or blower to get to the surface and only use deicers when absolutely necessary.

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Any links for mag being worse?

11. Defcon 5

Not as much chemically worse than Salt.....It's the heat they create that could cause some issues

Cement.org.....They have some articles that are pretty good.....You might have to do some searching.......:drinkup:

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I need some popcorn.

BTW, I've seen new concrete that had no treatment spall the the first winter. That should give the OP a hint.

13. Defcon 5

You need to go out and put the cover on your Dodge and give her a kiss Goodnight.....:salute:

14. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Wasn't trying to start anything just curious. We use mag for sidewalks always have

15. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

Better be careful, the weight might crack it!

16. lilweeds

Got that right Mark. I'm always amazed on the damage a dripping gutter does to concrete.

17. Mark Oomkes

It wasn't you, these discussions almost always turn really interesting. Not yet on this one.

18. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

little surprised here , I thought most of us knew about the freeze / thaw cycle and how water enters the cracks or joints of concrete , freezes overnite or for days , then a quick thaw will crack it while it tries to move upward .
    calcium is highly recommended and stays wet way below 0* on any concrete , calcium is also an additive of concrete. we still do use salt on concrete when temps are just below freezing .

19. Mark Oomkes

And how many people really need calcium (and its associated issues) because their pavement temps are at 0 so often?

I've salted concrete that was installed the previous couple months and never had a problem. Nothing to do with salt or calcium vs. concrete.

20. Defcon 5

.........:popcorn:.........:drinkup:...........:jester: