1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new concrete

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wild bill, Nov 1, 2010.

1. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hello there people ,i am looking for advise on what to use on our new walks we just poured ,keeping them clean is a issue as we don't get around like we used to do to age and disability .
    wondering how long for basic curing before we can use any deicing material's ,was going to use sand to begin with .they did not over work the surface when they layed it it has a nice textured surface,i have done a bit of reading and it is very confusing ,i know it is a carch 22 situation .we just bought some earthwise ice melt from t&n incorporated at the end of last winter and don't know if it is good to use and how long to wait to use it .this a personal use question i do not plow commercially just for myself .i have enclosed a picture of the surface if it helps any thoughts would be appreciated .

IMG_0478.jpg

2. leon

leon Senior Member

I would not touch it with any ice melter in any circumstance,
    as you have pitting due to the drying and curing.

You can never go wrong with sand in any circumstance,
    as it is an automatic traction aid.

Sand is passive as it is simply adding grit to the surface
    and dark in color in most instances-unless you have play sand
    to use which is fine also.

It may be a bit messy or dusty when the weather warms up but
    thats what the rented carpets, water hog door matts, tire strip door mats,
    brooms and leaf blowers are great for.

Having a pail or bag of sand handy and warm-near room temperature
    is an easy thing to manage as it spreads easily by hand using
    a coffee can or a spreader.

The curing surface will be difficult to seal with a good concrete sealer due to its
    texture and may need to be milled/ground up to regain a flat surface to apply a
    sealer next summer when it has had a greater cure time and becomes stronger.

3. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

Most liquid ice melts will be ok if you dont get crazy with them

4. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Concrete as a general rule should be allowed a year to cure before any sealing, grinding, or anyything to be applied including paint. Sand is pretty safe, and probably your best bet. You might want to ask someone who knows for sure, but i believe you can use a light dusting of calcium on concrete of that finish, but i'd ask someone who knows first.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

fresh concrete

well thanks every body for the replies i will probably stick to sand and hold off a year before applying any thing :salute:

6. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Mag Chloride may be a better bet over others