1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Company Idea

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Aura Lawns, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

In my area sports fields are a must, practices and games run most of the afternoon and into the night almost every day of the week. However, when it snows the county is not equipped to clear the fields... nor is it a priority. I have spoken with several of different groups of people in different power levels and have planted the idea of hiring a company to come and clear the fields of snow to allow practices to continue as scheduled. They said that they haven't found, nor have been approached by a company who is interested in this business. I believe that this could be very profitable seeing how in demand the service is and how few service providers there are. I can also work for private and public schools clearing their fields for sports practices.

My question is this, what equipment would work in this situation? Most are 2 side by side TURF (with fill) football fields. I need the equipment to be efficient but not huge in size... Also if I can use some of the stuff for a sidewalk crew that wouldn't be too bad:D

Also, how would you price this? I'm thinking per hour but having never done it I could over or underestimate greatly...

Thanks in advance!

2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

If ground is froze u can use truck or loader

Charge 100 a hour

3. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I know someone makes a snow pusher designed for clearing football fields, They have several at the pro stadiums around here.

4. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

Interesting idea, but I don't think the county would like the idea of trucks driving all over their special turf fields...even if they don't damage the turf:laughing:

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Protech makes a Pusher for Sportsfields........

6. We did one on Friday. I tool a piece of thick wall pvc over the cutting edge and pushed at all to the ends and the sun melted the rest

7. Defcon 5

..................:drinkup:

th.jpg

8. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

I saw that pusher from Pro-Tech... I bet I could manufacture a better one for less than 3K

9. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

With a truck?

10. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

I like the pusher, I'm also wondering about the machine pushing it...

Also do you think this could be a profitable venture?

11. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I like the pvc edge over the plow edge idea.

I wouldn't buy any new machine or box at first. The truck will weigh less than a loader.

Get on "You Tube" you can learn anything on there

12. Defcon 5

Then do it.......You came on here for ideas for your "New" business....If you looking for cheap ideas then you should put a piece of PVC on a plow and go for it....

Schools and Facility managers I bet would much rather see a light duty tractor clearing their Million dollar Fields than some Yahoo running around in a pickup on them....A new Synthetic field costs in up wards of $750k to a million dollars....If you want to offer this a service then you need to be professional Looking in appearance and equipment or you will go nowhere...

13. Yes with a truck. You can drive on the field if you have to most of them have at least 2 feet of stone base and filled with 4 inches of rubber fill

14. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

That's what I am thinking, I was looking for input on a good machine...

15. procut

procut Senior Member

I would think a rotary broom of some sort would work well.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That was my first thought and adjust the front casters so the bristles are not too aggressive on the turf. Sliding a piece of PVC over the cutting edge is a great thought too and no need for additional and expensive equipment.

I doubt that would be a desired service here in NC. 1/2 inch shuts everything down...I mean everything. It's F'ing aggravating.

17. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

It would be pretty in demand in my area, the travel and private schools especially would definitely pay for this service

18. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

It may not be an issue but I would look into at the liability side of your idea. There could be lots of slips and falls on the field and you could or could not be on the hook.

19. Aura Lawns

Aura Lawns Member
    from VA

I was thinking about that, my intent is to present a contract stating price, terms, conditions, and that I am not liable for damages or for injury. (is this a good idea)

20. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

If you perform services for a town, county, or state level you will accept all liability, no one is going to give you a no liability waiver on that. My town is listed as an additional insured on my policy.