1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New commercial job help please!!!

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by 97silverado, Dec 7, 2011.

1. 97silverado

97silverado Junior Member
    from NEPA

Hey guys,

As another snow season is rapidly coming here in Northeaster Pennsylvania I am in need of some help. This is my second year in the business and fortunately it has been good to me. All the jobs I have gotten thus far have been simple bids. They are on a per plow basis for X amount of dollars. I was given a shot at a new job for a small strip mall and think I need a different type of contract. I was wondering if anyone might have an example for me. I was thinking something like 1-3 cost x, 4-6 cost x, and so on. Basically something that goes by inches.

Other Questions:

What about shoveling. Should I charge by the hour or what?

Salting: by the pound or by the bag?

This lot I will be bidding is a thirty car lot in the back, a ten in the front and also a drive thru so any suggestions would help as to the proper way to bid.

One last thing, I need to sub my boss from my day job who is insured, own vehicle, and has years of experience. I am wondering if $48/hour is a good price for a truck and driver who will not get out of vehicle.

Thanks again to anyone with constructive criticism and/or some sort of contract examples!

2. 97silverado

from NEPA

So noone thinks I am last minute with this I was approached by a gentleman this afternoon. Which stinks because it was within twelve hours of a snowstorm with no chance of getting a bid out.
  3. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Well you're asking a whole bunch of questions. You just want me to bid it for you?????

Anyways, I'd bid the lot on a per time bassis since its small. Use increments and per time basis with a minimum trigger amount and also see if they want follow up plows with triggers and so on. I would include the shoveling into the amount for plowing based on what you feel it will take for time.

Salt will be seperate pricing. What are spreading with?
  4. 97silverado

from NEPA

Thanks for the reply eronningen. Could you elaborate on what you mean by triggers. I think I know but I do not want to assume. As for salting I am using a small 350lb. spreader. It was perfect for my first commercial job at a coffee shop. It may be small for this job but I will have to deal with it for now. I never really thought about larger jobs like this.

My main question from the original post was sample bids or contracts that show pricing per inch.
  5. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

$48 an hour for his truck, plow, and insurance? Ask what happened to last years guy.