1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Commercial Account

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 32below, Oct 4, 2013.

1. 32below

32below Junior Member

Hey Guys-

I'm new to plowsite.com and this is my first post. I've been doing residential plowing for the last couple of years and I just recently sealcoated a parking lot, and the management company asked if I would be interested in plowing for them this year. I have no idea how to charge for commercial parking and am looking for some help. The parking lot is about 100,000 sq/ft pretty clearl cut, with area to put snow, and only about 10min from my house. There is also a little area out back of the building that would need to be plowed. What would you guys charge for something like this? Thanks!

amsterdamsat.PNG

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Just to be clear... The long wide driveway on the lower right is part of the job? The rocks at the top right preclude putting snow off to that side..
    And is the road on the left, that runs the length of the parking lot...is that your's too?
    The area above the purple roof.. do you have to plow it? How big?

What do you have for equipment? I would want at least two 3/4 or 1 ton trucks with expanding plows, or better yet, 1 truck and a mid-sized articulated loader with a 16 or 18 foot pusher..

I will hazzard a guess...$450 a push. I would want at least that. $500 would be better. That's a lot of plowing.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  3. 32below

32below Junior Member

Buswell thanks for your reply. Yes, the driveway on the lower right that runs behind the building would be part of the job. The road on the left that runs length of the parking lot, I believe would be part of the job. As far as the area above the purple roof, that would not be part of the job. The property manager just kind of through it out there and said he was unhappy with the current company maintaining the parking lot and asked if I would be interested. we did not get into specifics as of yet.

I have an 8'6 Fisher V on a 3/4 ton. Depending on how many commercial accounts start coming in (trying to push more commercial) I may purchase another plow truck. I also have access to a skid steer but would rather leave that off site.

The per push price was right around what I was thinking. What about an unlimited monthly contract price? What would you be thinking for something like that?

Thanks for your help!

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What part of NY and snow totals.

5. 32below

32below Junior Member

Upstate New York, Albany area. I think the average snow fall is like 65".

6. grandview

Can it be done with your truck? Yes,but will take time.Have a backup truck? You really should have a little bit bigger pierce of equipment there.Nothing under 20k ,salt extra,

7. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That seal coat looks thin......look into a skid rental, find the cost and divide with your cost.

8. 32below

32below Junior Member

Thanks!..I don't currently have a back up truck. However, have access to equipment if needed, also I am friends and work very close with two other plowing contractors who would beable to assist if needed. As far as salting goes I've been using magic salt for all my residential driveways. I've been charging about 75 cents a pound, which is 3x my cost. What is the going rate for salt app per pound?

9. 32below

32below Junior Member

This picture is an outdated picture from google. It does not show the newly sealcoated lot.

10. Liberty LLC

Liberty LLC Member
    from NJ

I would say you need at least an extra truck or sub one of your friends as well as switch to bulk salt even if you need a bigger salter the cost is far less to you making your profits higher I buy a little over a ton for $97 with NJ tax.

11. 32below

32below Junior Member

That is what I figured. With bulk salt, do you charge 3x your cost?

12. 32below

32below Junior Member

Also, is the going rate for salt app still 20lbs/1,000 sq/ft or should it be more? Thanks again guys! Everyone has been a big help!

13. Liberty LLC

Liberty LLC Member
    from NJ

I base my price on 2 the price of doing it with bagged salt in case I have to you it due to access or salter going down backup can't use bulk salt so I make money either way

14. Buswell Forest

from NH

I wouldn't do any "unlimited snow" by a monthy flat rate, if that's what you asked. You could get pooched hard doing that, or worse, the customer gets pooched hard and drops you like a hot rock.
    By the push is the fairest way. And with all that you said for plowing and salting, I am thinking a combined per push of $750 - $800. That's a LOT of area.
    And you will be outgunned if you get a 15" dump if you have just the one truck..unless that is the only lot you do with that truck...and even then, it will be busy..
    I would advise an F550 (19K gvw) 4x4 with a 4 yard sander..and a 20K pound articulated loader with a 16' pusher..
    If you already have accounts, and you want more...you will need both of them to have any chance of keeping people serviced in a timely fashion.
    But, you are in a great position with this lot, if you get it.
    Figure a 3" trigger (?), and a 12" storm: $500 for two pushes, and the last push add the salt = $750; $1750 for that event. Figure 4 of these events, and maybe 6 events with 2 pushes, one salt...and 6 more of one push and a salt..
    $19,000 for the year? At the low end? $22,500 at the higher end?

15. 32below

32below Junior Member

Thank you Buswell for that information.

I just spoke to the property manager and I got some more details...

He would like a per push price for 2", 4", 6" & over, and he also wanted to look at a flat rate yearly price for months Nov-April. What do you guys think?

Thanks!!

16. grandview

Go for the seasonal bid.No monkeying around with snow totals,It snows you plow.

17. Buswell Forest

from NH

What would you say it's worth? Salting included? Meaning, if you were going to do it?
    How far off am I with my guesses?

18. grandview

Around 25ish.

19. 32below

32below Junior Member

I would prefer to get seasonal contract, that's what I am hoping to land. This is a great opportunity for my business and a chance to grow so I am scared to over shoot and screw it up. Like I said, I've never bid something this big before. Property management company asked if I would be interested in taking over lawn care duties as well for this spring, so there's a whole lot more on the table then just the plowing, just don't want to blow an opportunity.

Should I include the salt app in my seasonal price?... or should I give season price and make salt additional?

Thanks guys!

20. grandview

You could give a seasonal price with salt but you'll need to figure out about how times to plan on going for just salt and how much you'll need each time you plow.Could give a price with and without salt.