1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Chevy5500 4WD

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snowpro1, Oct 9, 2007.

1. snowpro1

snowpro1 Member

This is our 3rd Chevy Kodiak 4500-5500 4wd. Switching over from Fords. There is a tremendous difference between a F-450 and the Chevy 4500. Chevy is a real medium duty.
    Frame, brakes, axles and of course 360 HP Duramax. Just Have to get used to the height.
    Pushes a 9 or 10 footer like its not there!

2. snowpro1

snowpro1 Member

Here's the pic. Sorry first timer.

oct 07 108.jpg

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Nice truck! It's good to see people who know REAL trucks from the flammable ford mock-up trucks LOL!:gunsfiring:

There's nothing better than a GMC or Chevy Truck IMO :waving: wesport !

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

OIh yeah, that is one sweet truck even for a Chevy!! Seriously, it's wicked nice. You need some stainless simulators on the wheels. Those would look great with toolbox.

5. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Wow...very nice! that is one long s.o.b. truck! I just always wish GM would put bigger wheels on those things. a 22.5 wheel would fit that perfect.
    What you running for a plow setup?

6. snowpro1

snowpro1 Member

Thanks all, I just had to show it off!
    Long, try it towing a 20' tag along...that's long.

Actually, GM offers a 22.5 wheel upgrade option. Really a monster. 3.5 inches taller than this one. Has to be special ordered, I didn't have that luxury. I'm gonna run a 10' Western custom mount, we put on our own plows.

7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

Ah i never knew that..or even seen one setup with those wheels.

Sounds good, im sure we all cant wait to see those pics.

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i agree we have had nothing but troubles with our 19.5 it has the same rubber as your as of date we have replaced 3tires due to sidewall failure or tread separation we have just over 7,000miles on it no warranty on tires of course ours is an 05' we've had it since new, the goodyear G-120orsomthin is junk and has little to no traction but is the most agresive thing on the market all well

i have trouble postin pic's so you'll have to go to my website to check it out but once youve seen a black one a white one just ain't the same

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Once you go black, you never go back. Too bad all my trucks are white but nothing looks better then a new black truck. Real trucks have flip hoods, sorry Ford.

10. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

There is a standard cab 4x4 that runs around my town....downright badass truck !!

11. snowpro1

snowpro1 Member

Actually it's Dark Green Metallic. I was going to paint the cab white to match all the rest but it's tooo pretty!

oct 07 109.jpg

12. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... 5500 4x4
    thats my dream truck there

13. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Nice truck, I never see any of those trucks around. Only compaint I have, is that with a truck that big you need bigger wheels and tires. But nice truck man.

14. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Very nice truck. I like to be uniform with truck colors, but who could give up that green!!

15. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

nice truck!!! Yea, those 450-550 fords are actually beefed up 350 frames unlike the topkick/kodiaks.

16. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Mouth dropped wide open with that pic!! AWESOME! are you going to do anything for warning lighting on it? Can't wait to see the plow mounted on there! Some nice chrome wheel inserts would compliment that box and front bumper quite well! :)

17. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Hope you got a lot of driveways to plow now.

Eggs-cell-ant truck.

18. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

whats the GVW on that truck? also would one need a class b cdl if you were to tow an excavator behinde it? just curious cause im debating which way im gonna go in the spring 3500 4500 or 5500 planning on getting bigger and into haulin compost to another site so im lookin for the best possible truck, was looking at the fords until they had to go make them nasty

19. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I agree completely. Simulators would make this sweet truck even a little nicer. I like your truck so much that I went shopping for ya. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wheel-Simulator-New-19-5-Kodiak-Topkick-for-towtruck_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43956QQihZ002QQitemZ7915390423QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Regardless, that is a great truck and good looking to boot. I have always loved those 4500s and 5500s.

20. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i put alcoa alum's on mine but they are hard to get
    mine rides rough as hell but i got a cheapie with no air seat i put a alum bed on mine should have done steel for the weight and ride