1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new chevy plow issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SD-Dave, Jan 11, 2010.

1. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

here's the question....

I would like a to own the following but am concerned about the lack of snow plow package.

Chevy/GMC 3500 extended cab 4x4 Duramax Diesel Allison trans.

anyone own such a truck and have a plow on it?

if so have you upgraded suspension?

any issues?

will warranty be void since truck is plow pack equipped??

what size plow....I would like a fisher 9'2" ez-vee

anyone know if any of this will change with the new engine 2010 models?

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Hmm where to start...

If you look around the threads a little bit, you'll see that plenty of people are running plows on their Duramax equipped trucks. A vast majority of people install Timbrens on the front end to mitigate the extra (over) weight being placed on the front end.

Your warranty is valid regardless of whether or not you have the plow prep package - all that does is give extra provisions that make it easier and safer to add a snow plow. The thing that can potentially void related warranty claims is having a plow setup that exceeds the FAWR, and letting GM know about it.

SInce the Duramax weighs 650lb more than the 6.0L, any plow over 8' will cause you to go over your FAWR of 4,800lb. That being said, the Timbrens will keep the front end from sagging excessively, and extra wear that results from the decreased ride height. I had a Blizzard 810PP (960 pounds) on my 2006 Duramax and the front end weighed in at 5,200+ pounds, and that was with a skid of salt in the bed as ballast. There are plenty of guys that run V-blades and Blizzards on their Duramax. You need to decide how comfortable you are going x% over the FAWR, which is 4,800 pounds in your case. The only suspension difference between a 2500HD and 3500 is an extra leaf in the rear - the front ends are the same, and max out at 4,800 pounds. A few people on here have replaced the factory torsion bars with the next highest ones, with some success, too. If you want to know exact weights with different plow setups, let me know and I can work the numbers for you.

The same 6.6L engine is in the 2010 models, its just increased EPA regulations on emissions.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm......9'2" is usually a Boss Plow. Fisher no longer manufactures the EZ-V. Do you mean XtremeV? The XV is available in 7'6", 8'6", or 9'6"
  4. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

No issues here with my D-Max/Allison, no timbrens either, 110k miles original shocks, I'll get new shocks in the spring. I got the truck used but the previous owner had a Boss on it from when he bought it NEW. I'll have to get a pic posted later with plow on it to show the minimal amount of sag, etc....

Good luck either way you go, but GO with a D-Max ! wesport

5. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I would just have the torshon arms tightened up a bit and have it re-aligned. I have done it on two 3/4 ton trucks and run 8.5 v plows on both. I know of a guy that has a 9.5 on a 3/4 ton with no probs.
  6. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Ok, here's the two pics I said I would post about plow sag, I know its a "light" plow (Sno-Way) but maybe it'll illustrate something for somebody. :nod:

Yes I know the "jack" is down, I just did this for the pictures.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  7. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Timbrens and a couple torsion bar turns would solve that problem. Oh, and weight in the bed.

Touchy subject. Lets say that there is a drivetrain problem. The dealer would most likely have to find a way to prove the damage done to the truck was from plowing and not just normal abuse. Tranny cooler lines were troublesome on the 2007 trucks, and might still be. Seeing there is a bulletin on the problem, and GM knows about it, then that isn't caused from plowing, and is caused by a known problem.

2010 duramax is non-exsistant at the moment. Currently, the factory that makes the motor is being re-tooled to make the 2011 Duramax, which will be 2010 emissions certified. The plant will open this April, and the 2011 trucks will debut next month at the Chicago Auto Show. 2010 gas trucks are still 6.0, just with VVT and AFM. There is also a new chassis coming.