1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new Chevy motor

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by greenbean, Nov 28, 2005.

1. greenbean

greenbean Junior Member
    from Ma

I need to put a new 454 chevy motor in my 3500 HD dump truck. Anyone know where is a good place to buy. I guess I'm getting antifreeze into my oil..

FSUPERDUTY Senior Member

First if it is a vortech it needs intake gaskets.Second if it is really bad go to GM and get a crate engine and be done with it!
  3. Thats the best way to go. get the crate engine from gm. Comes with a warranty and if you put it in and it fails, the dealership will do all the work from there under warranty.
  4. Brookside

Brookside Member

Just curious, what year is your Chevy? Our '98 K3500 454 spun a bearing from coolant in the oil. Dealer put in a remanufactured short block, still had coolant in the oil. They finally figured out it was a pinhole in the aluminum intake manifold, needed to be replaced. Just a heads up - we had to go through 2 rebuilds, with all the downtime that goes with it, but it's okay now, I hope. It shook my faith in GM, especially since this was the first new truck we ever bought.
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I'd definitely go with a Gm Goodwrench motor, simply for the reliablity and the warranty. If it were an older truck id go with someone else.
  6. KHB

KHB Member

Crate engines are the way to go if you need a replacement. Do a search on the web, i got a ZZ502 from a GM dealer out West cheaper than getting one from my dealer in my own state. :eek:
  7. greenbean

greenbean Junior Member
    from Ma

my chevy is a 96 3500HD

8. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

GB the previos poster stated a leak in the intake--this is the 3rd time I have heard of this with the 454! also--I had the intake manifold gasket go south an it leaked freeze in the oil. These are cheep fixes if the truck has not been driven far with this problem! It could also be a cracked head---a head is much cheeper than replacing the engine! Worst case it is a cracked block! A compression test of the motor will rule out craked head and possibly block, then pressurizing the cooling sytem could Isolate it to the intake! Hopefully this helps:bluebounc