1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new chevy 1500s....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ed39, Dec 24, 2009.

1. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

I am looking into getting a nbs chevy 1500. anyone plowing with them??? any pics of them with plows, im not to crazy about the fisher HT they want you to put on em, id prolly go with a 7.5 hd.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What year truck are you talking about? If you are stuck on Fisher, I would get the HT long before an HD/RD. Direct lift is smoother and has the scrape lock. The cutting edge angle on the HT is the same as the X-blade or XtremeV. They scrape MUCH better than the "normal" blades. And your half ton will be much happier with the HT.

3. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

new body style 08 09... im not convinced the ht piston is a good setup, besides the hd is a much heavier and beefy plow, i do parking lots and driveways, really dont need a 2500hd this would mostly be a driver...

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The GMT900 trucks - 07.5 and up - are coil springs on the half tons. These trucks are probably the primary reason the HT was developed. I don't know what mods are available for those trucks to carry more weight. If you have a Sno-Way dealer anywhere close, that would be the way to go. Lightweight, downpressure,and well proven plows. Plus, you could get an 8 footer which would be very nice.

No question the moldboard on the HD/RD plows is stronger/heavier, but that's the reason they are too heavy for the truck you are looking at. The HT piston setup is the same one that Fisher has used on the Homesteader. They have been quite reliable from what I have read.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Why not? There's been direct lift for years now.

The HD may be a more robust plow but unfortunately you don't have a robust enough truck for it. 1/2 tons are far from what they used to be. Which is the whole reason for lighter and lighter blades being produced in the first place. You want more plow you need more truck.

6. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

i have found leveling kits and timbrens for them... im torn on wat plow to put on it ht looks nice for my plowing hd would be better, and im not a fan of snowway

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Leveling kits do not increase spring rate, which is what really increases weight capacity.

8. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

yea your right, but for the sake of plowing and front end clearence.. i hate low riding trucks wen ya put the plow up

9. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

So you need a heavy duty plow but not a heavy duty truck?
    My 2500HD is driven empty at least 65%to 75% of the time (now anyways) but when I do work the truck I can't imagine not having the HD it makes so many more things possible over a 1/2 ton truck

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  10. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

No more torsion bars ? does the truck sit higher now ?

11. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

ooo idk 6.0 gets 12mpg and 5.3 gets 15 plus it rides 10 times better, the truck will handle it just fine with timbrens im not worried at all, just wanted to see people that were plowing with them. it would be the same as plowing with a new tundra. the difference is chevy is a much better built truck with a better locker...

12. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

nbs 1500

I only plow my driveway and went with a light weight plow to save on wear and tear. I would have got the HT had it existed three years ago. These trucks are not heavy duty and the light weight plows work great if used properly. As far as the piston set up, I have a suburbanite and have had no problems. This is the fourth season. I did replace the electric motor as it's been said it's too small for the pump but it was minimal cost. My next plow will be bigger, so will my truck, but I have no regrets.

13. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

pics

pics of truck in action.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  14. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

nice truck, i really like that color. id be going with a bigger plow. and a 5.3 maybe a 6.0 max package.. still up in the air

15. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

nbs1500

Why not a 2500 with the 6.0? You can get any plow you want. I will be trading mine in the spring, hopefully, and will be looking for a gmc 2500 with the 6.0. Or a 2006+ F250 with the 6.0 diesel.

16. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

its another 5grand.... well see how the winter goes

17. chitown sparky

chitown sparky Senior Member

ed I had a 2007 1500 new body style for 6 months when i tried to put a boss 7'6" ploy on the dealer told me it will void the warranty. So I was looking on the internet and saw a 2007 2500 with more options and it was the same price as i paid for the 1500 but with 0% financing so i took a little hit on the 1500 but am very happy with it and didn't really notice a difference in the ride.

18. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

what's a 1500? I know they used to make a truck called a half-ton, but I thought they stopped a while ago. Now they make four door sedans with pickup beds on the back instead.

I'd recommend the ht or a light-weight Sno-Way for that truck.

And the 5.3 ought to get better than 15mpg. My 04 Avalanche gets 18, and has seen over 20 on long highway trips. 3 mpg isn't much of an advantage to avoid the 2500hd.

19. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

How can you tell what color it is? All I see is a snow-covered truck, I can't make out the color at all.

20. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I own a 08 GMC 1500 and I wouldn't even try to plow with it. Mine is an SLT and is decked all the way out with every option available and your right it is just a 4 door sedan with a pick up bed, but I love it to drive around. So much more enjoyable than a 2500 or anything.

But if I wanted a plow truck, just go with a 2500. Gm did drop the ball on the front end not being able to handle a plow to great with the NBS trucks. I mean weight wise it can, but clearance?? I was talking to a dealer who told me they can't make the western mounts clear the ground, so they've been installing leveling kits on them to fix this problem. But the truck drives like a damn car, its awesome.