1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new cat 299d

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PTSolutions, Sep 11, 2014.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

demoed a cat 289d, and a tl12. The tl12 was powerful but was really rough to operate. It was loud and uncomfortable and left me sore and tired at the end of the day moving 200yds of soil from a basement dig. We decided on a 299d with high flow and 2 speed and couldn't be happier.

Ended up spreading out that 200yds that I piled with the Tak, and its pretty close, but beats it hands down in comfort, visibility, and drive power. Will have more pics and video up soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Pool&Plow

Pool&Plow Junior Member

Nice Cat!! I agree, the D series cab is pretty awesome esp when compared to pretty much any other skid steer or ctl out there. The independant movable hand controls and air ride cloth seat is fantastic. IMO having a way way nicer ride and operating experience is far more important than a wee bit of drive power or muscle. I imagine that the 299D is no slouch though wesport I pick up my new 242D at the end of the month, I'm pretty pumped!

3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Smart the Hydro Fittings are inside the Arm now it looks. Also the bucket pin locks are no longer Hydro and are electric. Mine seized up allot more one side then the other even after greasing it and machine sitting for a month.

The pedal will also seize up and same for the AC water valve. They have changed this all now apparently. I think the "C" series users should file a class action law suit. lol

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Very nice!

5. PTSolutions

From what I heard, All the mfg's will be moving to an electric quick attach setup. Supposedly if you lose hydraulic pressure or damage lines and lose fluid, the pins holding the attachment could come off. Scary if you are running a mulcher.

My old rc100 has badly worn quick attach pins and I have had attachments come off, nothing powered though. I've replaced the blocks and springs, but still have the issue so I'll change the pins now too.

6. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats on your CAT!

7. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

AWESOME!!! I love my 297C and it looks like the few little things I would have liked to change on the "C" series have been in the "D" series. I'm sure you'll love it. Price aside they make an amazing track machine. I am just disappointed that the 297 is no longer made, and not sure why. Not sure a 287 will fit my needs so when its time to upgrade I will have to strongly consider one of the 299's especially since they now have an available model with like 110hp.

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Why wouldn't you replace the pins before you have an attachment come off?? If you knew they were worn that is.

I wouldn't want electric quick attach, plus I don't like where the electric motor is sitting behind the bucket or attachment. It seems unguarded there.

9. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Protouch
    How does your trailer handle the weight of the 299 ? Does it have 17.5 tires ? You will love the 299. We have over 300 hrs of muching on our 299d xhp so far and its an amazing machine

10. PTSolutions

-I replaced the springs, bolts & blocks earlier this year and it was fine. The last job it was on it started loosing the bucket again while backdragging, so ordered new pins and they just came in 2 days ago.
    -As for electric quick attach, from what I have heard, all mfg's will be moving to that system sooner or later. The only time its "unguarded" is when there is no attachment on. The bucket covers it when its on, so I don't see what your issue is.

The trailer handles it just fine. The tires are 17.5 load range H on heavy spec axles. Appalachian doesn't offer this model anymore. We have had much heavier loads on there than this. Its like a 20k gvwr with 16k capacity. I liked it b/c I got the capacity without the headache and tire costs of a tandem dual.

But, we are currently looking to replace it with a 25k gvwr tandem dual, and adding a 62k gvwr for our future tri axle purchase.

11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I guess my issue stems from having electric mount and dismount on my Boss TGS 1100 spreader and the damn motor took a sh!t 3 different times. Post traumatic stress for me. Finally just got rid of the electric on it and put a trailer jack on there. I'm glad it's protected more than I can tell. Doesn't matter so much for snow, but construction and landscaping there are some heavy things falling behind there once in a while. Good luck with your machine.

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I've got the same trailer and I love it, Appalachian builds awesome trailers. That's a really nice looking machine by the way.

13. PTSolutions

I was worried when I first saw it as well. It has worked just fine even with a ton of sticky clay packed in there.

14. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking machine.