1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Case, Cat and John Deere Backhoe Offerings

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Deere John, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

Has anyone had a chance to use one of the newest Case M's, Cat D's or John Deere G series machines? I looked at the JD the other day. Boy, my C series is starting to look pretty old in comparison.
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

was looking to see some at the mascon show boston but was canceled due to snow storm.
  3. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy Member

do people still use backhoes as much, i would think a bobcat and mini excavator would be just as good for 75% of the work, especially with the offset digging of the mini-x.
    tell me what you think, where you would use one as opposed to the other.
  4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I prefer a backhoe over the other two. I rent the other two when needed, and I find I get 85-90 percent of my work done with the B/H. Mini-ex's are great in the right spot, and can save you having to move alot of extra material with the 360 swing and side-shift ability, but at the same time, I can put the 30" bucket on the B/H and bail like nobody's business. I can also put the 12" bucket on, and do utility work. Frost ripper for winter - not possible on a mini without the expense of a breaker.

Besides, I use the machine for snow work, and it performs well at that sport in my application. We could go on here all day, but I prefer to own my B/H and rent the small equiment when the job dictates. Others would do the opposite.