1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Career?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Oregon_Rob, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Oregon_Rob

Oregon_Rob Junior Member
    from Oregon

I am thinking about a new career as an equipment operator. I have been working in the high tech sector for some time and really feel the need to get outside again. Any thoughts about a move like this? Any advice from guys who have been doing this for a long time as to, Is it a good career?

2. kojak

kojak Member

As a cat skinner I'm replying to you because of being rained out for a week. This is one of the things you need to consider, can you deal with a paycheck that is not always regular? I'm not sure how it works in the states as per wages, and what tickets and licensing you need in the states, but it pays well when your working here. You need to consider a few things such as can you handle long hot (or cold) hours, the beating these machines put on your body (a twelve hour shift on a buggy is one hell of a pounding) and a working environment that isn't very PC than this may be a good career move for you. I love this work, I feel like a big kid who get's to play with Tonka trucks all day, and get paid for it.
  3. sschario

sschario Member

I have been having similar thoughts. I have been working in IT for a long time and would love to find something outside at least some of the time. I was thinking more along the lines of working for myself, but nothing has come up yet. And of course, you have to buy the equipment first.

The lawn / landscape market seems pretty saturated around here. I am hoping to find something I can do part time for a while to try it out. Just keeping my eyes open for now.

Let us know if you come up with anything.