1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Buyers saltdog 1500 1.5 yard spreader / install question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by DP Property, Oct 9, 2012.

1. DP Property

DP Property Senior Member

Hi guys I am installing a new buyers saltdog 1500 and the controller # 3014199 updated version with the two in-line fuses at the back- has a power harness direct to battery and another power line it has - all the instructions say is to feed it to ignition or another fuse block. I have an accessory fuse block under the hood so I just ran this wire there but nowhere does it tell you in the manual how many amps this should be going to? for now I stuck a 3 amp fuse in there and the controller on the spinner side and auger display are now lighting up. The salter is not hooked up yet still installing the harness. The vibrator switch does not light up yet - is this normal? I am assuming it will only light up when the vibrator is on?
    I sure hope these new controllers are reliable I am debating on ordering the Karrier 1070 and buyers pigtail harness for emergency back up. read some scary stuff on these buyers controllers but am hoping the updated version is really better?
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yup--just like Buyers to leave out the important stuff.Seems like a 3 amp fuse is way too small,I'm thinking like a 30 amp,not sure what I have.Yes,the vibrator lite will come on upon engagement.I would only trust the white faced Buyer's unit or that Karrier one.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Our experience has been the controller failure issue was a short time deal involving just the early release digital controllers. I'm not certain the old white face analog controller was anymore reliable.

I heard a rumor the facility that manufactured the white face control for both Karrier and older Buyers has gone bankrupt and closed their doors.
  4. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The wire you are talking about just goes to an ignition on, hot fuse - basically so you can't run the spreader with the ignition off....

Check the spinner rotation, I remember the wiring in the manual was backwards for a few years - for the spinner, not the auger.
  5. DP Property

Ok thanks it's already wired to a live accessory fuse and I think the controller was draining my battery even when it was off so I am just going to throw a toggle switch in line so I can kill the power to the controller when not in use.
  6. DP Property

New controller is bad :(

ok so got the salter installed today and turned it on - NOTHING

controller for spinner says 0 when I turn the knob nothing happens and for auger says 3. when I turn that nothing! When I hit vibrator switch light does not light up and nothing.

Checked all fuses internal and out was on phone with Buyers tec support no luck he said sounds like bad controller but then assured me this was a good controller with little issues?

I went to my friends shop and hooked up his old style controller and I am sure it is made buy Karrier for the Buyers company it is a Karrier 2070 looks the same- AND IT WORKED FINE!

:confused: this is brand new can't risk this going to be ordering the 2070 but the company I bought the salter from will be getting a call on Monday they owe me a new controller. It is a pain in the ass will be spending another $600.00 to make this new thing right!