1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New but not

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by huss691981, Dec 13, 2008.

1. huss691981

huss691981 Member

:confused: Ok guys, just looking for a little advice on the busniess side of all this. I have worked as adriver, with my own truck for 4 years but now my "friend" has all but cut me out of his snow removal service. Not sure how to go about bidding and landing accounts. I understand that prices per hour vary a lot from location to location. But I just am not sure where to start. Kinda just floating in the breeze cause was told right up to last week, "we have plenty of work, if you can get another truck and driver, we have plenty for them too." Not sure what to do other than feel kinda betrayed. Sorry bout the spelling. Mike:confused::(
  2. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

What changed from last week?
  3. huss691981

huss691981 Member

don't know other than he has always been tempormental. Someone looked at him crosseyed and now he's pissed at the world. Granted, I still have another guy I work with and he has a lot of work.....but it's mostly small stuff like drivways and my trucks just are not very good at small stuff. He has a full size blazer and a geo tracker, they fit in spots the power wagon can't even thing about.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Maybe he will change his mind again But hand out some fliers and put a phone number on the trucks.
  5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

where exactly are you located ? i don't think my boss is hiring right now but most of the drivers on my route will be replaced before the year is up . i could pass your name and # along.

oh ya it's all large commercial lot's. no driveways or gas stations .
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Also, don't be afraid to knock on some doors...even the commercial doors. Just because we're into the season, does NOT mean they are completely happy with the service they are getting. Keep a KEEN eye out next event and look for places that aren't done when they perhaps should be. I've done this many times. I just posted not long ago about a dentist office I got with a large lot. I was driving by, and it had like 4" of snow in it at 10:30...I was like "What the heck!"
    When I went in, and introduced myself, the receptionist went and got the doctor. He came out and we talked a bit. I said I'm not there to step on anyone's toes, and I can understand that maybe that his regular guy could be having some trouble or something. he said no,...that guy does this all the time...and he wasn't happy about it. he asked if i could do it,...and I did. It became a good account, and everyone was happy with the service - including the people who leased at the other end of the building (a pharmacy).
    Point is, is that it CAN be done. Consider this...You are MILES ahead, because you have experience. you can go into a place, and YOU have a reasonable idea of how long it is going to take you to do that place. Figure your costs, and know what you have to make an hour. For some, it is 60,...for others it is 75. Judging by your truck, and the size of you plow and such, you are probably right around 60, but I don't know about your area, so that is speculation. Just don't try to go hog wild on the price, or else you won't land ANYthing....be reasonable. Make sure you let them know that their walks will be done right, and the job will be neat. Also, make sure you get all your insurances in place...as SOON as possible. You don't have to reply to that, by saying you have commercial insurance covering snow removal, because it doesn't matter...most people on here DON'T have it. Don't reply...only you know the real deal. Just do what ois right for you. Good luck with it, and I hope you do well.
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

its very late in the game i would try to find another contractor to sub for...... that would be your best bet this season
  8. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Ya I have a Dairy Queen next to 2 hotels and a office I do, I went back to clean the hotels yesterday at 2 o'clock and they were just pulling up to plow it, they are like this all the time just keep your eyes open for lots like that.