1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Business

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by LyndaL, Oct 27, 2005.

1. LyndaL

LyndaL Junior Member
    from eastern

:waving: Hi

This is my first time using an online forum, so I guess I should start off by saying HI, my name is Lynda.

I have been reading your notes to each other and am very impressed with the infomation that is shared. I think it is great. I am not sure what I can add to help anyone, but I was wondering if I may receive some information from anyone that would like to share.

I own a tree service and I recently purchased another truck to use for snowplowing along with a plow, I am also set up in the phone book advertising snow plowing services. I have done some research, but I need help in putting it all together.

I have received calls already asking for prices, estimates for private driveways along with 2 bid requests from two large retail stores.

I also have the employees lined - two that will be using there own pickup trucks and snow plows, and my insurance company is working on their part.

So here is my problem, I have no idea how to price the jobs or how to write the contracts. So I was hoping that someone would not mind sharing a sample contract with me one for residential and one for commercial.

I know that charges can be by the hour, by the acculumation, by the job, by the push salt or no salt, but what I am most confused with, is the dollar amounts that should be attached to each service and which pricing structure is best.

I also need help with sample contracts so I have an idea of how they read in the industry. I was going to write one like I do for the tree service, but from reading various messages on the forum, I now know that is not a good idea as it should be very detailed.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and for your consideration for helping me

Have a great Day!

Lynda:waving: :help:

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Lynda
    Welcome to our site. The members are a great help here. First of all snow plow pricing is very regional. Here in Michigan I charge $125.00 a hour and that is at the high end. I look the lot over when bidding and figure out how long it will take to plow with a snowfall of 2-4 inchs. I bid all of my jobs by the total snowfall for a given event. So if the lot will take 1/2 hr with a 2-4 inch snowfall the price here is $62.50, then I price 4-6 at $93.50 then 6-8 would be $125.00 over 8 inch we start with a price of $125.00 and bill per hour over and above the first hour.payup
    As I said pricing is very regional so if I were you I would try to find some plow contractors in your area and see what the going rate per hour is in your part of the country. Post on this site what part of the country you are from, city and state would be helpfull. When asking for help with info on this site it is very helpfull if you would give as much info as possible that relates to your question. This is a great group of people who are very helpfull, and again welcome to our group.

Regards Mike

3. LyndaL

LyndaL Junior Member
    from eastern

Thanks Mike

Thanks for responding so quickly. I am looking to operate in South Central NJ.

I have another question - I purchased another pick up a Ford F150 XLT 4X4 and am wondering if you have had any experience or know if I can put a plow on this truck.

I went to the Boss web site and put in the vehicle type and the response was no attachment suggestions.

I am hoping this doesnt mean I can not put a plow on this truck, would you have any experience with this.

Thanks again

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Sorry but I am a GM guy, I work for GM at the Full size truck assy plant in Pontiac MI. I do know it is hard on any 1/2 ton pickup with a plow. Most of the guys are running 3/4 or a 1 ton pickup. The blades will all run around 7-900 pounds. You should be able to hang a plow on that truck, maybe a poly instead of a steel blade. You will need a set of Timbrens on the front, they cost about $150.00 a set and take about 30 mins to install. Do a serch for Timbrens here, there are alot of post about them.
    I would post a new topic here about that truck and what type of plows the guys have on them, there are a fair amount of guys running 1/2 tons but I think it is harder on a 1/2 ton than a 3/4 or 1 ton. That of course is just IMOP and evryone has one. Now its off to work to build those Chevy Trucks.

Regards Mike

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

Lynda,
    The F-150 can handle a plow, it will need some mods to handle the load, Air lift air bags work really well, They go inside the front coil springs and you adjust the ride height with air pressure, ballast in the back also helps. western or blizzard should have a 7 1/2 foot plow that will mount up.
    Western is a very good and fairly light weight plow steer clear of the Western poly blade they actually wiegh in heavier than a steel blade after they add all that extra support framing.
    Hope this helps you, and welcome to the site.

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Lynda, what year is this truck? If it's still under warranty, you might want to check with the dealer as to putting a plow on it.

Also, if you'll give the cab configuration, engine and bed size, you might have better luck getting an answer to your question.

7. go plow

go plow Senior Member

welcome LYNDA, meyers makes a plow for the f-150. its the meyers stl. 7.5, works very well, ive owned one , bought it in 2000 and sold it last year, i plowed res. and comm with that plow, and the plow held up great!!!