1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Business Idea

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jhowe, Aug 21, 2007.

1. jhowe

jhowe Junior Member

I'm currently doing construction in Winnipeg, MB and soon I'll be getting layed off and forced to collect ei.
    So I've got a buddy that wants to start a business with me...we're trying to get a bunch of ideas and go from there. However, we live in Winterpeg so I was thinking along the lines of "snow removal" and a little "junk removal". We currently have 2 trucks, 1 trailor and a snowblower and we were thinking about getting a plow and obviously some shovels. We know we're not going to get rich doing this but we're pretty sure if we diversify and advertise we could just do tons of odd jobs and stuff to try to make it like a full time job. I'm hoping that we'll each be able to make at least about a couple grand a month. So I'll list in order jobs we can do to get payed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

1) Snow Removal
    2) Junk Removal
    3) Eavestroughing (My buddy has experience and can teach me)
    4) Painting (My buddy has a few years experience and can teach me)
    5) Garage Cleaning
    6) Leaf Bowing
    7) Handy-man work

I plan on being as professional as possible ( logo, t-shirts, business cards, etc.). I think if we say that we specialize in Snow Removal and Junk Removal we can put in our flyers that we also do other jobs such as eavestroughing, painting, leaf romoval etc. that it will help get us extra jobs. I'm not sure how much to advertise though. If it did explode hopefully I could hire someone. All in all it seems like we need very little money up front maybe $500-$1000 for advertising and very little for tools and supplies, and it could pay off nicely, I'm hoping we'll make around $20/hr to start ayway. Any feedback though would be greatly appreciated especially if anyone has experience in any of these fields. The only thing I'm a little unsure of is pricing. I was thinking of getting a couple of quotes from the competitors just to get a rough idea. If anyone has ever tried anything like this, please let me know how you did it, I would greatly appreciate any input. I'm just a little curious how much business to expect and how quickly it will grow.

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know about your area, but "junk removal" wouldn't seem quite as steady or dependable as landscaping. That's why landscaping & snowplowing go hand in hand much of the time. It's also wise to work on getting something started & perhaps branch out from there. Maybe after getting your affairs in order for snowplowing, you spend the winter working on the spring/summer/fall aspect of your business. An all-inclusive "odd jobs" biz can probably do you fairly well, and it can also serve you well all year round (when not plowing). That's definitely one thing that landscapers/snowplowers can lack is the winter work when it's not snowing. To that end, you can contract plowing for the winters (read: income regardless of snowfall) AND work the odd jobs angle making more money to grow the business. I'm sure people do that (it's just that many of us are more used to seeing the straight landscaper/snow removal combo). Best of luck!!

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Junk removal is a good idea to me. Older people like someone to come in and clean there stuff up. 1 800 Got Junk is a multi million $ buisness. Some of the better stuff goes to flea markets and such and scrap can be separated. I think your on the right track, you don't have much to lose.
  4. jhowe

jhowe Junior Member

Thank you for your reply. I was actually thinking of taking a landscaping course in the winter as well and doing that in the spring. I live in Winnipeg, MB and there's definately alot of snowfall here so I was thinking of charging monthly and do mostly residential properties. I'm not sure how I would go about advertising to get larger commercial contracts, any ideas? Also I was wondering if anyone could tell me roughly how much money I should expect to earn from the start and down the road. I think the key initially is to advertise. I was hoping if we dropped off 2000 flyers, advertised online a bit, handed out some business cards, and put up some signs that we would get at least 20 jobs/contracts and continually advertise throughout the winter, but I really have no idea what to expect. Any input would be really appreciated.

5. jhowe

jhowe Junior Member

Thanks Dave. It's perfect timing since I'm getting laid off and going on ei. Might as well take advantage of free courses from ei too well i can too. Your right I pretty much have nothing to lose.
  6. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Definitly do snow plowing this winter but be learning about landscaping too. Start with spring clean ups, then study,study, study hardscaping (patio, walkway, driveway etc). If you get 1 major hardscape job per month, you can easily meet your couple grand target. I'm in the process of quoting my final 2 hardscape jobs of the season and if I get both, It'll mean around $20k in my pocket.
    Something to look into even if its not in the plans for next year.
    As for advertising, you should be able to get 20-25 steady customers. Then go to Staples and get a 18"x 36" magnetic sign saying "Stop me for Snow Removal" then under, have your cell phone # in big font. You'll be sure to get at least a few customers from this. Get 2, one for each side of the bed.
    Good Luck!!
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  7. jhowe

jhowe Junior Member

I'm thinking of geting at least a couple businesses going. My buddy has lots of painting experience so he's willing to teach me and go 50/50 in a painting business as well as doing the snow removal....hopefully this will keep us busy when it's not snowing. I definately think I'm going to take a landscaping course, that's a great idea musclecarboy. Thanks!
  8. Prof Touch L&L

Prof Touch L&L Member

junk removal

jhowe, because you are not in my area I will share this with you. there is a ton, no pun intended, of $$ in the "junk removal" biz. my advise would to hook up with at least 1 local roofer. then find out where you can dispose of the refuse and chage accordingly. lets put it this way the average roofer disposes of 50 - 100 tons of shingles, sheeting, etc a week. so figure it out. there's a company around my parts, similar to 800-got-junk and about 2 yrs ago they had a couple trucks and a trailer if that, now everywhere you turn you see one of their trucks. there is $$ there, you need to know where to get it.
  9. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Agree with Jeremy....while most roofers have their own dump trailers, some guys might turn to subbing it out to save hassle. Be reliable, professional, and provide great service. Word-of-mouth will take over. Let us know how things go!
  10. jhowe

jhowe Junior Member

Thanks guys! That's a great idea! I don't personally know any roofers, however I think I might be able to mail out a nice personallized letter to lots of businesses of that sort in my area and hopefully get a good response.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  11. snoaway

snoaway Junior Member

Junk Removal

My buddy and I got started with a roofing company about 6 months ago, althought they've only used us a couple of time they were good to us. We also haul junk for other's around my area. We charge a mimimum of $100.00 for a load, plus the dump fee if there is one. Our trailer in 6x12 dump trailer. The jobs to get our roofing jobs. We drop off out trailer the night before they start their job, they fill it and we come get it. Therefore we dont do any labor except for getting the load to the dump. Its a easy way to make a few bucks. This winter we are looking into doing snow plowing for residentional side of the market. Hope you do well in your future. GOOD LUCK!!.......Drew