1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Brine setup

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ndnchief, Feb 3, 2012.

1. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

With help from Kubota I started making Brine this year, unfortunately we have had little to no snow this year, but it gave me plenty of time to get things set up...I got tanks in and set up. I pump everything thru the rafters, brine is made outside, no hoses on floor. I have 3 3000 gallon tanks, one with calcium brine and the other 2 with salt brine...We back trucks in and hook up turn valve and we are done...We mix everything in the truck....we can mix any ratio or straight salt or calcium brine depending on temperature

photo (2)88.jpg

photo (2)11.jpg

55.jpg

77.jpg

2. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Custom Brewing already? Looking good. I like having all the liquid equipment, tanks and such inside. Especially the fill tanks. I don't like dealing with snowy wet slippery hoses and fittings.

3. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

Thanks Kubota....I wouldn't have had any thing close to this without your pics, video's and advice...and all the help you have given to others has made for some good reading and schooling ussmileyflag

4. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good!
    How'd you like pulling those tans on that trailer?? How far did you have to go?
    I hear its HE!! Sometimes!

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

No one around here offers that treatment I like to be the first in my area Some customers are asking for that service already
    I have old Fertilizer tanks I can use I look at the State Hwy setup they bought looks to be easy to make
    Only thing I see need buy is fittings pipe hose and a bigger pump and a truck tank

6. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

The tanks are harder to put on trailer than to take off trailer, you only need a few people to help, once on the ground they slide pretty good, need to make sure floor is clean of all pebbles or anything that may harm tank ...I only had to drive about 25 miles to get tanks, we have a distributor close thank goodness,

7. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

The tanks are harder to put on trailer than to take off trailer, you only need a few people to help, once on the ground they slide pretty good, need to make sure floor is clean of all pebbles or anything that may harm tank ...I only had to drive about 25 miles to get tanks, we have a distributor close thank goodness,

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Did you have to do anything underneath the floor in order to hold the weight of the tanks?

9. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

When I had the floored poured 8 years ago it was put in 6 inches thick, so I hope its fine...that area used to be used to store pallets of salt 4 high sometimes with a total of about 36 pallets in that area and I never had problems, I never really considered the weight before now

10. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what we realized after our first sprayer.... We Bought it from a local guy so he gave us a bit of a discount but it was still lik 5k dollars (opposed to 7K) When we made it ourself it came out to be about 3k Not including time..

I never had a problem with my floor! But its good to think about especially since those tanks will weigh close to 30,000 when full!

Glad everything worked out!

11. White Gardens

I for some reason thought the tanks were upstairs too along with the plumbing. :dizzy:

My Bad! That concrete floor should be fine.

12. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

By the way, I was so impressed with the way our brine mix worked on the two small events we had this year that we are going to add another spray truck for next season....Our last event was 17 degrees outside with a ground temp of 18.5 degrees....The city and state departments as well as most private contractors had over salted. Most all parking lots were covered with salt and/or salt dust...you couldn't drive down the road without covering your truck in salt dust, most all parking lots looked like crap for days, car washes did well.....anyway spraying our lots went very well, almost, if not instant melting from spraying. All of our lots were melted, none had froze and there was no salt residue on our lots. I had many compliments from store employees on how well things looked, We had zero complaints and everyone was happy, including me since this was our first year spraying and I was very nervous, if not worried beyond belief, but it worked great, To quote Kubota " property managers don't care how you remove the snow and ice as long as you remove it"
    I just hope that we get a chance to recoup our investment this year as this has been the worst winter to make money that I can remember..But if not, look out next winter, we will be ready

13. White Gardens

That's good to know as we had the same conditions this year also. The snow was super dry and it took way too much salt to burn it off. A couple of my lots looked horrible, but it was that way everywhere.

If I don't go 100% liquid in those situations, I'm at least doing a pre-wet system next year and should get some really good results and use hopefully half the salt as I normally do.

I'm kicking myself for not getting the system set up this year, but it's good to have the numbers on tons used per season between last years night-mare and this years light winter. I'll be able to calculate closer to the minimum amount of brine I need to have on hand to start out with.

14. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

I also bought a new saltdogg vbox this year and added a pre-wet system to it that Buyers sells, I'm planning on spraying the salt with straight calcium if I ever use it, I am only going to use it as a back up in the case that spraying will not give me good results in certain conditions. I got some blue pond dye to add to sprayer as to insure the salt is getting covered equally , Hopefully I'll just be spraying, because it sure is easy compared to salting and you don't have to worry about emptying your box after a storm, whatever is in your tank will be there till the next storm........But then again I am totally new to spraying so every event will be a learning process for me

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Kool Say You have pic of ur truck setup

16. ndnchief

ndnchief Member

Hope this helps

photo (2)1234.jpg

999.jpg

4444.jpg

photo (2)123.jpg

7777.jpg

17. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Nice job! Glad to hear everything is working out so far. We also added pre treat to our v box and it was one of the best 200 bucks spent. I need to find a smaller spray tip so I can stretch out the 35 gallons, right now 35 gallons gets us through about 4-6 tons spread. But it works like a champ! We've also been very limited to the number of events we've had but a couple have been very cold and with plain, untreated rock salt we needed almost twice the material down to make it work. With the pre treat we actually used a bit less and got results within 10-15 minutes of applying it. Next year maybe a 65 gallon tank. Our other truck is our liquid truck and as always works in just about any conditions.