1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Boss wings, & other good modifications

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Alaska Boss, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Just wondering if anyone out there has had a chance to try the new Boss angle wings yet? I just got a set, the dealer for Alaska said they were available last year at selected dealers in the lower states, but not up here. They look pretty beefy, and they're angled at 30°... putting them on my 9'2" V-blade gives me an 11' wide "bucket-blade",.. (I could scoop up a Blizzard 810.. lol). We've only had about 3" of snow so far.. so I scraped around with them a little.. the rubber bottoms seem to bend & flex ok... so hopefully the damage will be minimized. (Not sure how flexible they'll be at -50° tho... lol) Last year, I replaced my center snow catcher with a rubber door I made up myself,.. I've had the same trouble with the "hoof" buckling under & tearing off,.. & so far what I made has done good.... the main thing is I hate leaving any "snow trails" down the middle of my pass.. & I have none with what I made up. Also.. just as a side note, an easy & "free" way to double the light output of your late-model Boss plow with the new double-bulbs, is to simply splice in a relay off the highbeam side & tap it into the lowbeam hot wire,.. so when you hit your highbeams, your lowbeams stay on too... giving you double the light. My truck is a 1992 Chevy 1-ton w/quad headlights, & so I tapped into mine before the plow harness... & now I have double the light output on my truck & plow both.. for a simple $6 relay. I doubt this would work on double-filament bulbs.. as having both filaments going in one bulb would burn it up. The difference in light output tho is amazing!! I'll try & post a few pics of the wings....

plow 006.jpg

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

11' wide "bucket-blade"... lol

plow 003.jpg

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I'll try & make these bigger... another shot...

plow 005.jpg

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Re-did the first 2 a little bigger...

PICT0006 (2).JPG

PICT0003.JPG

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Full-scoop position... (Dream of this, Blizzards.. lol)

plow 004.jpg

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Last one... a person probably doesn't want to drive down the highway with the wings on.. good thing they attach/detach in about 15 seconds...

PICT0007 (2).JPG

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

oooooops.. one more... fresh grizzly bear track on my driveway this morning... gonna need a "Wide-blade" for this guy... :eek: :eek: :eek:

bear track.jpg

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Damn good looking setup!! :nod:

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the pics. i have woundered how they look mounted up. let us know how they work this winter.

10. The Boss

Hey Casey, now HE can say "get wide" ! LOL. :nod:

11. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  12. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I would love to put those on our 8'2" V's, but for 500.00, We're going to have to get a lot more snow than we have for the last couple years. Eventually I will have a set though, I just have to pass them by the banker (my wife). That'll be now prob as soon as I pay her off first.

13. The Boss

I posted this in another thread before but there's a local cat here who fabricates and installs wings for plows for $150.00 and they're just as durable if not more durable than any other brand out there.

14. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Alaska Boss,

Now thats a V plow. Get Even Wider!:redbounce

15. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

These wings cost $418 in Anchorage, AK,... (Installed: $160 more) I would think they'd be cheaper in the lower 48 states, seems like everything else is. Took me maybe 1½ hours to install them myself. They're kinda spendy, but I know that they'll have paid for themselves several times over before the season is over. (If they hold up). I plow NO pavement at all... all gravel & dirt roads & yards, so the key will be not tearing them off. Maybe a urethane bottom edge might be better in the long run than the stock rubber.... :confused:

16. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if i hear go wide get a blizzard one more time i am going to scream. :eek: :) :rolleyes:

17. progmc

progmc Member

Hey alaska boss what did you use to make your snow catcher with? Have any pics? thanks

18. progmc

progmc Member

Hard to see that far

19. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I'll take some close-up pictures of what I made up to replace the center snow catcher as soon as I can. Maybe I should start a new thread for that... in any case... stay tuned...

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Can you snap some pics (close ups) of your hoof modification for me?

Thanks!