1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New boss vplow is nice, but Im pretty dissapointed in it

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Jguck25, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

This year i got a four year old 8'2" Boss poly power-v plow and after plowing two huge storms with it i am pretty dissapointed with a few things. The concept of the v plow is awesome and it is extremely fast which i love but there are a few things that I am really not too excited about and was wondering what is wrong with it and if other people have the same problems. (My problems are most likely just adjustments because overall this seems to be a very well designed plow)

My first and most disappointing problem is how it does not scrape or clean the lots worth a SH!T. It is so bad that i use it the whole storm, but for cleanups i just simply cannot even use it and have to go and get my other truck to clean up the parking lots and driveways at the end of the storm.. Weather it is in straight, scoop, V, or anything in between, the lots look like complete crap. It leaves huge amounts of snow through the middle of the v, the plow wings do not scrape that well in ANY position except for straight. And when i do put it in straight it leaves all the snow through the middle of the plow. My snow catcher did end up falling off halfway through the storm which made it even worse than it already was. I also cannot seem to get the middle shoe adjusted right, it ALWAYS leaves marks and snow in the middle.

Like I said before, I am not trying to bash boss or anything, because they have a great reputation and the plow seems very well built and thought out. Much simpler than most of the other plows which is good. It is also at least twice as fast as my old fisher.

2.) Randomly the plow wont angle at all for some reason. The motor makes a noise like it is working, but the wings will not move. With a little bit of playing around with it it usually will start working again. It does the most when i first hook the plow up and after about 20 minutes of plowing it doesn't really do it. It always goes up and down. Just angling has this problem. Only when i first start using it after it sitting overnight. I did do some searching on this and people mention that they had similar problems and it was a sticking valve?

3.) Does anyone else have a problem with their boss plows HATING any type of gravel? My plow bounces and wiggles and chatters and hops losing tons of snow and vibrates like friggen crazy all at like say 2mph? Its almost like the plow is very very loose everywhere. but when i move it around by hand the main pivot point seems great and tight. The only loose part seems to be the bolts on the undercarriage. Never had this problem with my old fisher...
    4.) This one is completely my fault I got the wrong sized plow for what i do. It is only the 8'2" and it is definitely way too small for my truck and what i do with it. I do several .5 to one mile driveways that are barely wide enough for two cars to pass and there are tons of sharp turns. The rear wheels ALWAYS run over the windrow and suck it in so far that it looks like i didnt even make a swipe around the corner. (ten inches of snow). I have an F350 SRW extended cab and 8 foot bed. The plow angled is just barely wider than the truck. If i was plowing completely straight lines then I would be fine, But my turns are too tight and not even enough room on the tight corners to back up and try to take the corners at an angle to cut down the radius.Many people will say that this is experiance, but i have been plowing for 7 years and this is the first time ive had to deal with it, well at least since last time i had an 8 footer, but that was even a much smaller truck so it wasnt bad. Before this I had a 9 foot fisher and did not have the problem at ALL on the exact same properties. Wish I NEVER went back to an 8 foot plow. I plow lots of residential and it was never too big. This plow is too small for taking any type of turn with my truck. I know this has a simple but expensive solution= EIGHT HUNDRED dollar wings from boss.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Once i get the bugs worked out (if possible) this seems like it would be a very good and reliable plow.

2. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

1. does this plow have the formed cut edges or the old style with the snow catcher in the middle under the vertical hinge pin

2.sounds like a sticking valve to me

3. mine isnt either shoes are higly recommended on gravel

4 get wings

theres my opinion use it how you want and happy plowing

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

you bought a 4yr old beat up boss plow, cant blame the plow.

your going to have to drop some cash into the new formed edges and no more worrying about snow leaking through the middle.

get your adjustment right so the blade makes contact evenly in every position and that will get rid of your scraping issues

check the pivot pins where your plow a frame rotates on the light towers. we have a poly v that came with a truck we bought that these pins were very worn causing the plow to not raise to full height. this may be causing the hopping in gravel lots. but i dont know as we wont do any type of gravel.

honestly, you may be better off finding a newer and less abused 9.2 v. we ended up buying a new 9.2 instead of trying to fab up some tabs to tighten the pins. we keep the plow for backup now, and we have the new nice lights, full warranty etc... with the new blade.

4. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

It is actually in really good shape for being four years old. I knew the guy i bought it off of and it didnt even have that much use. Still on the original cutting edges and they're only half worn.

It does have the old style cutting edges with the snow catcher in the middle. Arent the new cutting edges around 150 each at the boss dealers?

Thanks for the opinions, I would love to find a used 9'2" but they are practically impossible to come across around here. I looked all summer and all fall this year and found only THREE boss v plows and only one 9'2" and the guy wanted 5000 for a two year old plow. No thanks ill get new for that price

5. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Your comments are interesting as I tryed out a brand new Boss 8.2 yesterday that is on a new GMC 3/4HD just for fun and it; was sorta interesting to compare with my Fisher. I am always interested in ANY other plows to see what they have to offer! It belongs to a Woods Contractor .The plow looked sharp; and I have got to admit that the Boss hinge ;with all of those attach castings; is a well designed and rugged set up. And in my opinion; probably a stronger design; because of the nature of so many places, the pin is passing thru a hinge point, it would NOT have the same shearing effect ,as a hinge that has less bearing surfaces .............. However with that said the A frame design looks inferior to me; and I never got to "hook it up"; so cant comment on that either.
    The built in "curb guards" are a very nice feature; and all the plow manufactures should put them on for us; Right outta the box . I cant remember what Fisher wants for those as add ons; but I remember it was outradious for a couple of pieces of steel 6" wide and a foot long with a radius bent in it????
    Anyway I was only plowing a couple of inches of light snow at his garage site [huge lot about 500X500 in area and of course all gravel that is now well frozen].
    My first impression was it was out of adjustment as the plow droped to the ground; but that didnt bother me, As my Fisher will to; if the quill isnt adjusted correctly . It whips it around just about the same as my V; but the minute I started to plow with it; I imeadiately noticed it was hopping up and down [just like you said in your post] ALOT more like a plow would if it weighed about 200 or more lbs less??? So I thought it was just that part of the lot; so I tryed various parts of the lot; and it was that way on any of it. Now I realize that the plows weight; is slightly less then mine[ from memory around 50lbs?]; so I couldnt figure that one out???
    I then cut the side out of a snow bank they made with a 966 and pushed it out away from the bank so I could see how this plow; would push a big mouth full of snow; and as I tryed to stack it; the springs were having trouble holding it up there??? .................. so I dont know if his spring system is out of adjustment, or not on that issue.
    The owner was backing up with it at some point this fall; and caught the right blade on something substantial; and now has a wrinkle in the very outboard part of the wing [that could happen with ANY plow] so have no idea if that issue has "tweaked" the whole plow or not .
    He claims he got it for about a grand less than a 8.5XV; and that is why he bought it . He told me he really likes it; and I know his last plow was the 8' Boss Straight; that he still has on a 2006 F250 that was parked there so I went over and looked it over; and it is now 5 years old and has had a LOT of repairs to it; that I better not comment on; or it might start WWIII on here. But it has about as many extra welds[his welders are NOT up to Boss welders quality] on it now; as it had original welds when it came from the factory .
    Now in all fairness these woods operators let every tom dick and harry; drive and plow with the trucks ;and frozen woods roads with buckled culverts; are not the best thing to plow; and some of these guys could destroy an anvil with a teaspoon; I am sure it has its good points and I would have liked to compare how they hook up as it seams LOWER to the ground to mess with??? Maybe my imagination but the bottom of the Boss A frame on his 3/4 ton GMC seamed considerable closer to the ground; than mine is ??? I didnt measure it so just an observation .

I heard a lot of compliments on here from a few guys; on how well made the wings that fit these plow are. I have the Fisher wings; so I looked into them a few weeks ago; to see what they had going on, and was quite surprised; To see how lightly made they are; and the whole wing basically being held forward with one round tube close to the bottom of the wing?? with a bend in it; It certainly looked "marginal" ;if you turned one of these guys around here, loose with it for an hour into a half frozen bank ??? So I am not going to comment on the ruggedness of them compared to Fishers wings either.
    I will not say I would never own one; but I will say that I am reserving my right to do so; for another time.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  6. PTSolutions

if the trip springs were having a problem keeping the plow up when in scoop then they are probably on the looser side. ours holds scoop just fine, except when its a heavy wet mix.

again, i really cant comment on the gravel issue. there is only one place that i encounter gravel. this one drive is concrete straight in and out but the last portion of the parking area is gravel, maybe 30' deep by 40' wide. as soon as i come off the concrete i tap the blade up to not grab any gravel.

as far as the wings, we have 2 sets, each on a 9'2" v and they have been an amazing addition, they are well made and stand up to quite the abuse.

7. PTSolutions

i forgot, to check and see if your pins are worn, raise the blade all the way up and put it in straight mode. rock the blade from either side up and down. there should only be slight movement at the horizontal hinge pin.

then grab the blade in the middle under the cutting edge and lift it. if you can lift it any more then the 2 pins that hold the a frame to the light tower are worn. we were able to lift our blade an additional 2" b/c of all the play at those 2 pins. the pins were fine but the holes started to egg out, so our only recourse would have been to weld plates on either side and drill a new tighter hole for the pins.

8. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Well that snow was very heavy so that is probably it . And it's great to hear you have had such great luck; with those wings; As they really looked to me like the tube would probably vibrate or chatter when you get too much in front of them, And would need say another tube about 3/4 of the way up the wing to brace it correctly? So they must actually be ruggeded than I thought!
    Lets hope he gets his all straighten out; as there is nothing more frustrating than a new plow, that is giving problems! Unless its hanging around waiting for it to SNOW!?!

9. jimchris

jimchris Member

I'm very happy with my poly VXT with wings. No snow left down the middle, a little chatter on gravel but that should be expected with no shoes. I have far less chatter with the Boss full trip than with my Hiniker trip edge. I have no trouble stacking even with the wings on. I'm 100% satisfied.

10. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I am loving my power V XT (8'2"). Bought it new in 07 to put on my 07 F 350 cc sb. I have been running Boss v blades since 1994 when I put a 7'6' v blade on my 94 Dodge short box 1/2 ton. I did have an issue with the earlier V blades leaving a "trail"of snow in any position but the scoop position. I used a piece of a heavy rubber mat (similar to snow deflector material) and installed it under the plow frame so it would spread out the little trail of snow left behind.

11. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I started plowing in 1978 and have used a lot of different plows. I bought a Boss 8.2 V, it's on its third season.
    Mine does have the new style cutting edge... why are you blaming a broken off/missing center flap on yours for leaving a center trail?...fix it.

As for the chatter/Are you sure you have the plow adjusted properly?

What type of maintanence has been done? You said it wasnt used that much, but that the cutting edge is half worn out? Mine hardly shows any wear.. Fact is..I dont care what you run, stuff can and does brake.

It sounds like you probably got a good deal on the plow? Have you thought about making the plow wider?

BTW, My last plow was a 9 foot Meyer... I can honestly say the Boss 8.2V is by far the best overall plow I have ever used.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

You have problems as something is not right. I would take it to a dealer for evaluation.

Also consider some Boss wings.

13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

There is a poly 9.2 setup for sale in Mass for the $3800 with everything included to setup on a Dodge truck. Buy it, sell off the wiring/pushplate/controller and your 8.2 and be done.

Our boss straight blade at work also chatters on anything but pavement- but our lot truck needs plenty of adjustment so I feel that is the truck/adjustment rather than the plow.

14. jnap711

jnap711 Junior Member

Replace edges with new formed edges. This elimanates the middle puck. Also most people over look the rubber block. It aligns the plow edges to the ground for a great scrape. The block is located on plow frame underneath center section of plow.Also replace center pin with updated pin to remove shake and wiggle from plow

15. critterfitter

critterfitter Junior Member

Have 2006 version 8=2" v plow. Totally satisfied with plow has formed edges. I just replaced original cutting edges after 4 full seasons on gravel and tar.My friend bought the fisher vee plow at same time has replaced 4 sets cutting edges broken center pin three times also 2 pumps and also the whole electronic package.

I have over 500 foot long gravel driveway and have no issues scraping down. I would check undercarriage bolts loosening up also height mount on truck off ground to center should be about 15.5 inches.Only thing coulda been improved on plow would be is the head light adjustments. the pivots kinda suck. an no way to replace bolts if they get messed up.

16. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

IMO it sounds like the trip springs just need tightening. I plow in gravel and I don't have any problims.In fact I was thinking just the other day how my Western 8'6" straight tripped so much easier than these Boss's do. Now as far as the formed edges go. I just put new formed edges on my 8'2"(4-5 yrs old too) And it still seems to leave a pretty ugly ridge in the center. That was disappointing. But that being said,I'll stand behind the Boss plow they are a good solid plow. The best IMO. Now if we could just get them boys up in Iron Mountain to make them in stainless and in a wide-out configuration of some sorts,Boss would have the market won. Lol

17. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

Sounds like you should have had the plow completely services before winter and had the problems addressed, sounds like a well used 4 year old plow that needs a little upkeep. Pump some money into it and maybe it will do the same for you!

18. lovemyboss

lovemyboss Junior Member

in regards to your turns try plowing forward forward angle a little forward dont try to plow around the corner youll never get it all. and if you have a helper just sitting there getting in the way of your mirror all night make him get out and shovel a little on the inside corner

19. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

hey i have a question sorry to hijack thread somewhat but ive just been looking around at boss plows and i dont quite understand the mounts, theres rt3 and then this smarthitch 2, is the smarthitch 2 just the glorified rt3 with that power light tower? like the way i understand it is that an rt3 truck mount will work on an rt3 plow or a smarthitch 2 plow? please correct me if im wrong