1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new boss v broken at a frame bends

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by big flounder, Dec 29, 2004.

1. big flounder

big flounder Junior Member
    from ontario

Anybody ever see this. no hit no bends it just fell off at the bends in the A frame or push frame

2. earthwerks

earthwerks Junior Member

I'm on my second BOSS. The first 7'-4" V suffered a badly twisted A-frame after I got it stuck between the highway and the curb/gutter going into a parking lot.
    One plow end was 3" higher than the other. It had to heated with a torch and pulled back into place.Then I had a fab shop reinforce the angle portions where it bent with 1/2" plate on both insides and outsides of the frame. I inspected the A-frame prior to welding it and discovered that the A-frame isn't a tube but a weldment made of a flat thin plate on the bottom and a bent u-shape piece on top. Then the u is welded to the plate to form a tube of sorts. In my case the fabricator at BOSS ground down the welds so much that resultant wall thickness was less than a 1/8". I called BOSS and they had no comment, and wouldn't do anything about it but sell me ANOTHER A-frame. My A-frame held water and was rusting really bad. I traded it with the truck and bought a new one, a 8'-6" but this time the welds weren't ground down so bad. But I did use expanding foam in a can (Great Stuff-brand) to fill the cavity of it to keep water out. Also used Great Stuff to fill the insides of the plow trip and wing springs to prevent rust from forming inside the springs and causing the springs to break. Works very well.

3. big flounder

big flounder Junior Member
    from ontario

all fixed now

The A frame was misaligned in the welding jig and the welds did not penetrate along some seams. same repair as you but mine was not bent, looks stronger now anyway.Dealer said no charge and will call for new frame after new year.