1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Boss Straight Blade Cracked

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DannyB, Feb 8, 2004.

1. DannyB

DannyB Junior Member

I plow with a friend and we both are running Boss straight blades. He got his 8.5' start of last season and I got my 8' new this year. Yesterday we cleaned up our plows after nearly a week of plowing. My friends 8.5' plow was lifting funny and upon inspection the tube that runs between the uprights - that attaches to the verticle ram was cracked in two. Is this common? We had a mobile welder weld it as we have plowing to do before it will get into the shop. I looked at my plow and the paint is cracked along the edge of the bracket that attach the pin to the ram, but then what paint is not crakced. Any advise would be great!
  2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've had mine for 4 years. I've hit curbs, manhole covers, tanklids, etc. The only thing that has ever broke was the lights.:waving:
  3. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Post pictures if you can!
  4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

I knocked a ground wire loose a week ago.... Mid-state fixed for no charge. I have used BOSS plows for a few years now and never broke anything ( knock on wood ) DO you work it hard ? Hit alot of solid objects ?
  5. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

No problems here either, but a pic would be great to look at. :)
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I have had no problems with my v. The piece that was cracked, was it the curved one that the top of the lift cylinder attaches to?? Might have just been a bad part.
  7. DannyB

DannyB Junior Member

We took pictures just in case before it was welded, I will get them off of the digital camera and post them up.

Thank you for the replies. In a nut shell the crack occured along the weld on the tube - that runs between the uprights that attach to the headlights - the verticle cylinder attaches to on top. Literally sheared it in half. The plow has not been in service that long, still has the original cutting edge on it. Not alot of solid object hits. Previously we both had Western Uni Mounts. These never missed a beat, well mine did when a Honda decided the intersection was clear and made a left turn in front of me - hence the new Boss. Looking at how the Boss works, it would seem that if you do not have the verticle ram in float, if the plow is forced up (into a pile for example), all of the up pressure would be on the upper mount of the verticle ram, is that right? Maybe we are doing something wrong (I am sure Boss will say this) or maybe it is a freak thing. I would think it is a freak thing, but my plow has cracks in the paint along the same weld.

I will get pics up tonight, thanks again!
  8. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

They should replace it with all their best plow hype.....
  9. DannyB

DannyB Junior Member

Here is a picture of the break.

10. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I think Illinois has some of the worst roads around. I'm always afraid of the lifting points on the western breaking from crossing R/R tracks and such. Do you think it may have happened in transit, as opposed to plowing? I've been told to cross tracks and rough stuff in the full up position.
  11. apkole

apkole Member

One of my subs had that exact failure on his Boss 9' V (about 3 seasons old). The fab shop that repaired it said it was the second failure they had seen in 3 days. I called our Boss dealer and the response was that failure is due to abuse, of all things. Says that when a wing of the V-plow catches on a curb the resulting force cracks the tube. Said that they had not seen this faiure with the straight blades, though. I suspect that Boss needs to revisit this area and either beef up the material specification (heavier guage steel) or re-engineer this part of the system. The repair solution on the part of the fab shop was to replace the round tube with a square one of heavier guage steel, and larger in overall size. Hmmm, and since that is now "bullet proof", where will that repair drive the next failure to?

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Makes you wonder why they abandoned the DUAL lift cylinders in the first place?

At least the stress would be supported by two points instead of just one.
  13. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

From the pics it looks like the bottom of the tube cracked. You would think that the top would crack if you abused the plow. The force of the plow pushing up on the tube. I guess you need to plow every inch or so, and stay below 2 mph. Saying you must be abusing the plow is just an easy way out, so you don't have to admit that there is a problem.
  14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Looks like they need to use thicker wall stock on that Assembly. Or do some post welding x-rays and see if the process is making it too weak to last. Already got "had the same thing happened" posts in a short time. Maybe some added reinforcements might help to handle the stress. My chains and lift arms have never broken!
  15. apkole

apkole Member

Our dealer also said to remember that the maximum plowing speed recommended by Boss is 15 mph and the maximum recommended transport speed is 50 mph.

I miss the chain lift systems as well. The travel on the plows was much better for following steep drive entrances and hills. It's much more time consuming with the limited travel on the new lift systems. Not all surfaces are perfectly flat.