1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Boss SD causing chatter bumps on gravel drive?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by camp61, Feb 3, 2012.

1. camp61

camp61 Member

Hey, I just bought a new 8ft straight blade Super Duty. I really love this plow especially for the way it mounts and unmounts from the truck.
    My issue is when I plow I end up with chatter type bumps in the snow (hard pack) and ice that is left on the drive. Wondering if anyone else has this problem. My old plow was a Fisher with trip edge and never had this before. The new SD is a fully trip plow. I think the trip springs may need to be adjusted but I'm not sure. I will take it back to the dealer but thought I might get a better idea of what was going on here.
  2. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

It's just the nature of the beast, because my 7'-6" Western Pro Plow did the same thing if I was running bare foot on gravel. If I had the shoes on the plow it didn't seem to skip nearly as bad but you payed for it by not being able to scrape as well. How fast are you moving when the plow starts skipping?
  3. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

Slow down a little bit and driving on the opposite side will smooth it up a bit.
  4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

My Western MVP (trip edge) will chatter on gravel - I have one spot where the pavement ends and gravel begins, and I try to lift the blade a bit right before I hit the gravel or else the whole blade basically bounces.

Like KBT says, going slow(er) should help.
  5. camp61

camp61 Member

Not running all that fast. I took the shoes off when the ground wasn't froze as I just left two big gouges with them. Once the ground was froze started noticing the chatter problem. I have two concrete drives that I like to scrape down the the surface so I didn't put them back on. Blade seems to trip pretty easy. Guess I'll go back to the dealer and see what they have to say. Thanks for your responses.
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know anything of Boss plows, but its the attack angle. I assume, from what I've seen it is a 70-75 degree angle, same as the X-Blade. Fisher says the X-Blade will chatter on pavement because of the aggressive angle.
  7. H&HPropertyMait

H&HPropertyMait Senior Member

Attack angle. Gotta take the good with the bad. Clean scrape on pavement chatter on loose stuff
  8. camp61

camp61 Member

Thanks all for the input.