1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New boss plow on my truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by delong17, Nov 27, 2010.

1. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

I have been a sacred lawnsite member for a couple years and always look at the pictures from here, but only have posted like 3 things on here so i decided to add to the picture thread my new purchase. I am 18 years old and bought my truck when i turned 16. I am fully insured,bonded, and licensed.

NOTE: As everyone else on this site does, I HATE LOWBALLERS, i could charge 30 dollars for a lawn when i was 12 and now cant even squeeze 20 dollars out of them before another low baller comes in with a 1990's van and a 21" mower and 18" snow blower and charges 15 per cut and 10 per push.

I just bought my first plow and am getting started into commercial work but mostly residencials. I have around 80 lawns i mowed this year, and out of those i got around 32 snow driveways, and 3 commercials (small bp gas station's and a car repair parking lot)

Here is my brand new 7'6" standard duty BOSS Rt3 Smart Hitch 2 on my dodge ram
    IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

IMAG0161.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0165.jpg

IMAG0163.jpg

2. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

ALSO, RAN INTO MY FIRST and SECOND PROBLEM TODAY WITH THE BOSS. THE FIRST DAY I HAVE IT(TODAY) Trying to take the plow off, the smart hitch two has no power, the plow works and functions great(up and down, side to side) but the toggle switch to take the smart hitch 2 off doesnt sound like there is power and doesnt budge, i had to push it up to get pins out and then push it off my truck to get it off.

Also, Second issue, when fully up, the lights are some what covered by the top of the plow and then when switching from low beam to hi-beam and then back down, the lights turn off completely and the (truck/plow switch doesnt work) I had to shut off my truck and start it up again and it worked but i dont want this happening every time i put it in hi beam.

Also, the lights seem to be angled down a lot more than regular head lights. When on the street and plow is up, it only shines like 20 feet ahead. It could have something to do with my car sagging but it is only sagging around 1", not even.

Any comments, help, or anything would be great. I am going call my dealer monday to come take a look but would like to know if this is a common issue, its making me nervious because i picked it up from the dealer today, drove to my house, pulled into shop and was testing and this stuff happend

Thanks,
    Jason

3. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Truck looks great, congratulations on the new plow. The plow lights can be tilted up to shine farther out. I'm not sure about your smart hitch as I am a Western guy myself. Someone will chime in im sure but I don't think that your truck lights should be on when your plow is hooked up, so there might be some electrical problem between that and the smarthitch. Good luck this winter and have fun.

4. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

thanks!

I didnt know whether i should go with the western midweight or the standard duty boss, I personally like the mount of the western better(as it hides way better in the summer) but i ended up going with boss because i got 500 dollars off the plow and free installation and 250 dollars off of a STIHL ms260 pro chain saw.

To each its own, western and boss are great plows and very innovative. I am not biased towards either one.

Hopefully someone chimes in soon. I am dying to try to fix it tonight

5. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

oh by the way. On the first picture, the headlights look likethey are on, but just the fog lamps are on, the head lights were illuminated with the HTC EVO's flash on the camera.

6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Did you have the controller in "float" when you hit the smart hitch?

That is usually 99% the problem for a new owner who can't get it to work.

7. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

that truck and plow looks great! aside from the lighting issues, i hope you have a great time with it!

8. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

Sorry man I wish I could help. I wondered about the lights as I went back and looked again. I also am not biased, Boss makes great plows, once you get this issue fixed it will be trouble free im sure.

9. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Take the truck and pull it up to a garage. Without the plow on aim your lights at the garage door. Get out with electrical tape and mark with two crosshairs where the truck lights are at the distance. Now put the plow on and roll up to make the plow lights the same distance as where the headlights were. Get out and put a mark and look at how much you need to adjust. Pre adjust with the lights on the plow turned off because most plow lights emit heat to keep snow from sticking and they could be hot. Now turn them back on and fine adjust the last little bit so that the beam concentration is over the cross hairs. You should be all good at that point. That is the way I did it and it worked on mine... Pretty simple. Took 15 minutes to get it perfect and I never had to touch it again.

10. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Lights are easy to adjust.....loosen the 5 bolts under the headlight and tilt to where you want it and tighten.

Don't know what to tell you about the lights shutting off......sounds like the truck is the issue.

Don't hesitate to post in the Boss forum.......tons of knowledgeable guys there ready to help out.

11. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

As someone already chimed in, make sure you are putting the plow in float mode by pressing and holding the down arrow on the controller it will switch from green to red now its in float mode and ready to mount/dis-mount the plow.

As far as lighting issues there are 2 bolts on the underside of the lights loosen them up and tilt them up a member had previously stated the best way to get them similar to your normal driving lights when its mounted, make sure you lift the plow off the ground when you do the final adjustment as the extra weight will drop them a little...

Also as far as the hi/low issue that sounds like a wiring configuration I wouldnt mess with it let the dealer worry about it, especially if you have daytime running lights also might void any install warranty they give you!!!

Good luck and congrats on a great plow purchase....

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  12. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

i didt have the controller in float and still couldnt get it to work

13. delong17

delong17 Senior Member
    from 48009

thank you for all the help and comments, i tried everything just not and couldnt get anything to work differently. I adjusted the lights just now on my garage door for 25 feet away like the owners manual said also. So the lights are perfect now.

doo-man: What do you mean by the running lights will void warrenty? I have never heard of this before

THanks for the comments guys and thank you all for your help. This is not like lawnsite at all. Everyone on lawnsite except for the 16 year old that have nothing else to do except beon lawn site, say something negative or pretty much call you stupid. Thanks for all the great help so far.

I have another question for you guys also. I am looking to get a smaller snow blower for sidewalks and walk ways. I dont want to get a 2 cycle cuz i dont wanna deal with mixing gas and replacing fuel lines that are gummed up from sitting for 8 months out of the year. I am looking at either the 420qt? i think it is ... It is made my toro or the ariense 24" deluxe. The toro is $700 its a single stage 4 stroke and its 21" width, the ariens is 900 dollars and is two stage with 3" more clearing width but is around 50 lbs heavier. What do you guys recommend for a good snow thrower that will last a long time and be light enough to put in the back of my truck for transport by myself. Im not a weakling but dont wanna break my back 35 times per snow. Im 5'9 190

Also, i ordered soundoff LED hideaways and would love any advice installing them. I am questioning just hiring some shop to do it around me but if its easy, i wouldnt mind a project. I got the Hideaway strobes with the pinnacle soundoff signal LED mini-lightbar. Hopefully they will arrive soon as i did 2 day shipping on both.

NOW I NEED SOME WHITE GOLD

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  14. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

Thats sharp!

15. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Just wait... It will come lol...

And on the blower I'd recommend a single stage. Ariens and Toro both have good single stage I believe. Get one that is just wide enough to do walks with two passes. It will be light enough, won't take up much room, and most sizes are too small to clear a walk in one pass anyways.

We Have a van that has shovel guys, a 2 stage, an old toro single stage, and ice melt on it. I also have someone with an atv/plow setup to care for larger walks that are non standard. I'd recommend that. If you are on your own just get a shovel and a single stage that is little. Sometimes you will want to shovel to save energy sometimes you will want to use the blower... it all depends on how much there is to be done and how long it takes you to load and unload the thing. I'm quicker with a shovel a lot of times so I prefer that... but ya the blower will take some strain off of you mid-route.... Go look at them both and see what works. I run regular octane gas through both of mine.

The one thing I didn't get was 2stroke gumming up your lines. What you do with two stroke equipment is run it dry. The fuel is a lubricant, so once it stops moving it still is lubed and won't hurt it. With a 4 (or straight gas in other words) you will want to add fuel stabilizer to a full tank and run it until the stabilizer is in the lines and carb... then shut off the fuel lines and if need be empty the pan on the carb. You won't have a problem (other than the crap gas nowadays with all that ethyl alcohol in it eating seals... but stabil helps).

The only thing I have done to my blowers is the carb, lines, and the coated piece in the auger (sorry I forgot the name...drew a blank so someone fill it in) was replaced on the two stage blower. To be honest our only two stage we own is the MTD one I picked up when I was younger.... I made it work without spending a fortune.

Just make sure that you get a commercial duty blower so that it does not freeze up on you after tens of hours of work.

Oh, and I almost forgot the most coolio-looking blowers right now. Honda has a nice single stage commercial running about $800 ish right now and it looks promising. I might pick one up for my new rig.

16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a nice setup! Make sure you have a backup plan in case something happens. It would be bad to piss everyone off because of that. Just a friendly suggestion.

17. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

if you bought this new from a dealer why not bring it back and let them fix it? Why should you worry about it?

18. SIWEL

SIWEL Senior Member

Truck looks good, I remember it from lawnsite. Too bad about the wiring issues.

I have both toro and ariens snow blowers and they are both great. I love the 2stroke single stage blowers for running sidewalks in the middle of the night. I find they are a lot faster then the traditional 'style' snow blower. They are also a lot simpler of a design. No transmission to go bad or tires to go flat. We run our stuff pretty hard and get a lot of great use out of the 2strokes and never have an issue with the fuel lines gumming up. We do about 2 miles or more of sidewalk a storm have 40+ resi's and 7 condo complexs and a couple commericals. We stay buisy and I just bought another 2stroke toro, if they didnt work I wouldn't own so many. Our larger blowers only get taken out in the huge storms, besides that the 2strokes are where its at.

Good luck this year!

19. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Another thing for if you let gas sit all summer in something is, add k100, it helps keep the ethenol from seperateing from the gas, we use it in our snowmobiles. :nod:

20. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

If your still having electrical issues an you got it installed for free?? Take it back to the dealer an have them fix it. Sounds like a grounding problem!!