1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Boss owner questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gcsupraman, Nov 7, 2007.

1. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Just picked up my new 8'6" Boss today - thought I would try Boss after using exclusively Fisher for the past several years.

A few questions....

1. Wow - the hydraulics are fast. Is there anyway to turn them down a little until I get used to them? :)

2. Is there a way to eliminate the slow stop of the plow when using the hand stick? - Even with a quick tap of the button the plow moves a few feet and I am worried about hitting a house/garage when getting close.

Thanks!

-Greg

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Patience Grasshopper, it takes a little time to learn it.In about 2 storms you'll be a pro.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

haha i was thinking the same thing, i just got my first boss as well, and when i first tried it i was like god damn this thing goes left/right fast, which is funny because i thought my curtis was pretty fast till i saw this thing.

4. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

My worry comes from a combination of the plows fast hydraulics with the fact that when you release the angling button the plow slowly stops - not instantly stops. If I could slow it down a bit OR turn off the "soft stop" I would feel better when getting close to garages.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Grandview's right, just give it a couple storms and it won't feel fast anymore.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

yeah i know what you mean, mine is so fast it actually jerks the truck when it stops turning, lol its weird. its a very vilant stop, lol

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I can accually shake all the snow off my truck with my vee if i take the controller (joystick) and move it around in a circle. I know that this isn't a good thing to do but i only do it to get all the snow off the plow.

8. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Enjoy the fast hydraulics while you got them my plow is 4 years old and you can tell it is slowing down but like the other guys said give it time and take it slow the first few storm and before you know it you'll be wishing it moved faster.

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

All reasons I like my Boss So much.:D

I don't know what you are talking about my boss is 9yrs old and its just as fist as day one.:confused:

10. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

I dont know whats going on with it but its slowing down, but i still love it and wont push with any other plow

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol B&B and I just saw your thread, lets take it over there:waving:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How many of you guys that don't like the fast angle speeds of the straight blades are aware that Boss sell's an orifice kit to slow them down?
    I don't think many dealers know it either..

The boss p/n for the orifice kit is: HYD09924
    Cost's about $12 and takes 10 minutes to install.

13. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I love Boss for all the above reasons, like SnoFarmer said. Give it even one storm and you will be used to it. Just take your time around garages and obstacles.;)

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

B&B
    "The boss p/n for the orifice kit is: HYD09924
    Cost's about $12 and takes 10 minutes to install".unQUOTE

I think they offered that orifice:eek: I appease the people who complained.
    The hydraulics are the fastest in the industry.
    When you have a couple of hundred pounds moving and you stop it suddenly it will make your truck wiggle.

Now if you are actuality plowing with it and have a blade full of snow you will appreciate the fast and strong hydraulics.

It can take some time to get use to if you ran a slow weak plow before.

I think the slow stop would bug me to. When I release the stick I want the plow to stop now, not to keep going and then slowly stop.
    jmo....

15. bstout

bstout Member

This sounds interesting for only $12.00 and ten minutes of my time. Where can I find pic-chor's off how-to install it? Maybe on the Boss web site?

16. bstout

bstout Member

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I totally agree, and in an application where you need to move the blade often, I don't think I've ever used a plow that was "too fast"..I just wanted to make the guys that want them a bit slower to know that there is a solution..

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Good deal:waving:

Hey, They could use ATF that will slow it down when it gets cold.
    Maybe, some strait 10w*?
    (*we ues it in some heavy equipment AUX hydraulics.)

I was suggesting that they try it out first before trying the smaller orifice..
    I know it seams really fast right now but as you become proficient at plowing it will be nice to have a plow you are not waiting on.

Plowing tip for new boss owners.
    Instead of pulling right up tight to the garage door, stop short and adjust the plow.
    This will reduce the risk of hitting the garage.;)

With the smaller orifice the plow will be even slower when the temp falls.
    There will be more strain on the motor to turn the pump resulting in a higher amp draw.
    The need for a second batt may be a good idea too.

Just trying to Edjumakate...lol;)

There must be a call for it or they would not be offering it..

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

85-140 gear oil slows them down nicely too SF! :D

True.. I know that some of the dealers that install the orifice kit for guys that never had a Boss before, end up taking the orifice kit back out after they get the hang of the plow...sort of like a set of "training wheels" for guys until they get use to the speed.
    It might add a little strain on the system but it only restricts the angle function, not the raise.

So if your angling it with it in the air most of the time (just as you suggested with the "garage door technique"), it would still be less strain than the effort it uses to raise the plow, so I think the extra amp draw issue is negligible...but I know what you meant :)..

20. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

speedy

most of the speed complaint's are fro recent meyer and western converts you can make then break dance on the front of your truck especially a vee plow .i think boss has a slight problem with some of the hand held controls on some the angle function lag's behind when you release the button ,does not seam to be a problem with joysticks .might be programing with the circuit boards .