1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new boss installation-have questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jscan, Nov 25, 2009.

1. jscan

jscan Junior Member

I have a 08 gmc 2500hd sierra, installing a new boss straight blade 8' plow, the installer told me they are going to install a switch on my dash to control the plow lights, this sounds kind of old fashion...i thought when you attatched and plugged in the plow harness it would automatically override your truck lights and turn on the plow lights. i have the snow plow prep pkg which has the forward lights wiring harness.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The switch is a simple. There is not cutting or drilling involved. It has double sided tape on the back and plenty of wire so if you don't like where it is at you can move it without any damage to your dash.

3. jscan

jscan Junior Member

they told me this is for the lights and it involves a drilled hole for the switch...so i do need this switch to override the truck lights?

4. overtime

overtime Senior Member

yes you have to have the switch. they must be using something that is not boss then for there switch. i have mine mounted by the passenger air bag switch and i forget about it all the time. i would question them on there switch and ask to see it

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Definatly question it. Is the plow new? Tell them you don't want any holes drilled in anything.

6. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i believe ALL plow setups have a truck/plow headlamp switch

7. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

The company I work for runs all Boss plows and I have yet to see one where the switch was screwed in or anything like that. All of them have been mounted via double sided tape, I would be sure to ask about the switch. If they say they cant do it without putting a hole in the dash, see if they cant tuck it away somewhere and leave it always switched to plow since its only in use when the plow is connected.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The Fisher Minute Mount plows do not use a switch. They used to use two relays, but that was too simple. Now they use a circuit board "isolation module" and eight miles of wire. Just choose from one of a couple hundred harnesses and modules, and your light should switch over automatically. I understand the new Westerns use the same setup.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

mine is taped on to and some times I forget to flip it off when I take the plow off.

10. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

If its new this is what they should be using. Like all said it mounts with double sided tape no screws. Just like the one stuck in my truck. Its part number is MSC04747

[​IMG]

11. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

If its new this is what they should be using. Like all said it mounts with double sided tape no screws. Just like the one stuck in my truck. Its part number is MSC04747

[​IMG]

here is from the manual page 11.

15. Remove the adhesive backing and apply the switch
    to the clean area of the dashboard. Apply pressure
    for 30 seconds.

12. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

No! Western plows automaticly switch to plow lights when you hook up ur power plugs ect. No switchs

13. Deco

Deco Senior Member

was it ALWAYS like that ?

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I think they just started that last year when they join with blizzard.

15. prostk2

prostk2 Member

I have a 15 year old Western Uni-Mount (solenoid control) and the headlights switch over automatically. There are 2 relays wired in which control the headlights with the plow attached or detached.

16. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Shows what know. I'm a boss guy though.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The Westerns and Fishers have switched the headlamps ever since the Uni's and MM's first came out 15 years ago...

18. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

the older styles like mine have to have a hole drilled but any of the new ones use the stick on type switch.

19. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I honestly like how boss does it. If your headlights get knocked outta wack then with the flip of a switch you can turn the truck lights on and keep on plowing.

20. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

agreed, I like the setup as well........that switch can be hidden just about anywhere, so that isnt a big deal.