1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new boss 9'2" moving slow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sailinstud420, Jan 6, 2010.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 Junior Member

I got a brand new 9'2", running it on the stock electric pump & motor. It moves slow compared to my 3 year old 9"2". From what I remember there is two adjustments, one is an allen head out the back of the pump housing, and I think recall seeing another hex head on the forward facing side, (requires removing the plastic shield to acess it).

I know one adjusts the drop speed, which one is it and does it affect the up/down/wing speed ? What can I do to speed it up? What does the other one do?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The rear facing adjustment screw is only for drop speed adjustments. And if even the wings are extending slow a pump pressure adjustment isn't the fix (which is what you're thinking of on the front side). Because it requires very little pump pressure to extend the wings.

On a brand new install slow performance is due to a poor electrical connection, weak battery, improper install (the #1 one cause), low fluid level/air in the system, or a bum pump unit.

Need to check over the install making sure power cables are attached where they should be, and then possibly a motor AMP draw test to see if there's any indications of a weak pump unit.

3. sailinstud420

I didn't mean to exaggerate the problem... don't get me wrong, the plow moves, it just does not seem quite as fast as my old one. I was just wondering if there are any adjustments beyond how it comes out of the crate to get it going a bit quicker.

I don't think its an electrical issues, its a brand new truck and I installed everything myself. No signs of gauges, lights, hvac, etc fading when plow is operating either.

Would moving the pump pressure adjustment out do anything to speed it up at all or no? I know on my older blade it is about 1 turn from falling out. It is not just the wings out, the lift is slower too. If not, what is the function of the pump pressure adjustment ?

Also, on the old blade, what do I have to do to slow down the speed at which the wings retract?

Is this B & B as in B & B truck Equip in GR, MI?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No relations in GR. Seems to be a common misconception. :D

You can check the pump relief however do not simply go cranking it up as an effort to increase speed. Use a gauge to check/set it to the correct spec, which is 2200 PSI.

To slow the wing retract down on the other one loosen the wings springs up. Most guys set them much too tight. There's also orifice restrictors you can purchase from Boss that are placed under the wing retract valves, thus restricting fluid flow as the wings retract. But few guys like them.

5. sailinstud420

what if i do? will it increase speed or no?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's currently set very low below spec (which I doubt) yes, if it's not then no.

7. jeepman4u

jeepman4u Member

Hey B&B

i just got my boss 9.2 v plow, I have done the 9/16 nut on the back to slow down the drop speed, before it would slam the ground hard now that better, But i'm still get my wings coming back hard it can rock the truck when they come back. In the v spot you can take and move the return spring with your hands with no problem. Are they still to tight to make it slower for the wings.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Is there any gap at all between the spring coils when in the vee position? Or are all coils closed up completely?

9. jeepman4u

jeepman4u Member

Hey B&B
    The coil are closed and are tight,

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then if it's still too fast for your liking you can add the orifice restricter kit under the wing retract valves. Your local dealer probably won't have them on hand as few guys want them slow (most want them as fast as they can possibly be) but they can order it for you. Pretty sure Boss still has them even though they're not a hot item.