1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New blizzards

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Q101ATFD, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Any word on when the new 810's are coming out that have the light tower on the plow? Could be the only good thing to come out of their merger last year...

2. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Actually they are switching to isolation modules, new style plugs, light bar on blade and possibly a hand held (western like) controller. So ya .... mucho good things

3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

yea thats one thing i couldnt understand about blizzard before, who wants to keep the plow lightbar hooked to there truck? so much better with it fixed to the blade.

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer it off the plow, less stuff in the way when working on the blade. I also love the big shoebox controller, very comfortable.

5. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I also like the shoebox controller

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I love the big controller. I found the small ones not nearly as fluid if you know what I mean... it was so comfortable to always have my hand on it except for shifting. I find the littles ones strain you a bit more for some reason...

I also like the light tower. We leave them on all year, I have never hit anything with it but I assume it would hold up ok and be cheaper to fix then something on the truck.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And you think this is good???

8. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

yes and no. the western style plugs, mounted lightbar and controller and all good products that western has. The current blizzard plugs sucks big time. The controller is ok but hand held would be nice too. But it is also bad if your like me and have 4 blizzards of the old style. If you add a new on then it is not interchangeable.

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I like to flip my blade onto it's face when I'm replacing a line. Can you do that with the attached light tower?
    I put my light tower on at the beginning of the winter and take it off at the end. Makes it look like a plow truck.

10. Snow Fresh

Snow Fresh Junior Member

Good Question!

Good Question!

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Will not continue to be that way. odds on DD will change it. the manufacturer assumes a certain amount of liability for allowing you the ability to maintain the "forward obstruction", and it can be counted as "permanently attached" weight when assessing fit capabilities.
    Kinda like why fisher doesn't include a wearedge on there plows, it keeps the "installed" weight down and broadens their range of fits.

12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

IIRC the whole Forward Obstruction came about due to serious car accidents in which the triangle or lower frame would cut open a car in a collision. Had a friend in high school die when she spun into the front of an oncoming truck with a Fisher mount.
    Also, now that most trucks have airbags, and crumple zones are a big part of truck design, having the plowframe out front tends to negate any positive effects of crumple zone energy absorption.