1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Blizzard 860SW problem

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by MuskokaDon, Nov 27, 2007.

1. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

I just had a new 860 SpeedWing installed on my 04 GMC 2500HD yesterday (just in time as we got about 6" on the ground this morning) and i cant seem to get it to float?? The blade drops and stays there..is there a trick to it, or do i have a problem??
    also, the wings are sitting lower than the mold board. Is there a way to adjust that, or will it just "break-in" ??
    Tks.

2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Just a guess based on the last up/down problems on a new plow...

Flow Control valve Knob on back of manifold.

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

If the wings are hitting before the moldboard then you need to look at the push beam height. 12-14"max to the center of the mounting pin on that plow.

Jerre

4. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

i did adjust the flow control because it was dropping like a rock, but still no float.

5. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

thanks Jerre i'll have to check that out. So that is adjustable?? sorry, i'm new to plowing ;-(

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

As the mount is fixed, height is only adjustable by changing the height of your truck, if its the 2500HD in your sig. What size tires are you running? Have you cranked up Torsion bars at all?

Hard to believe a GM would be too High, eh Jerre?:)

7. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

It does have over-sized tires on it - 285/75 - is that my problem, the truck is too high in the front??

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  8. Jerre Heyer

Nope sorry the front of your CAR may be too hight:eek:

It happens. Like I said 12-14" to the center of the mounting pins on the mount.

As far as the no float. what control do you have? joystick or touch pad?

J

9. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

:realmad: i'll have to measure it...

I have the joystick

10. Jerre Heyer

If you have the joystick and when you hit drop the plow does not keep dropping when you let off on the stick the relay inside has a problem. We've had a couple of the curtis and blizzard one's come off in shipping. Jerre

11. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

It drops without a problem, it was dropping too quickly (for my liking) before i adjusted the flow control. It just wont float! but maybe it IS floating and my truck height/blade angle is whats making it dig-in so badly ??

12. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Doesnt it have a float light on the controller?

Try pinning the wings straight and using it like a straight blade, that would rule in/out your query as to whether your wing edges tipping is causing it to not 'float'

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  13. Jerre Heyer

If you mean that it does not ride up over obstructions and that it moves the gravel while you are plowing then yes it is floating.

Float does not mean that it rides over things. Float means that it follows the ground contour up and down without restriction. If you want it to ride over things adjust the shoes to stick below the cutting edge and that is the closest you are going to get.

One of the traits of the Blizzards are that they CLEAN TO PAVEMENT. This is done with edge weight vs other plows ( all the weight is on the blade, snoway is the only other like it ) and the attack angle of the cutting edge ( nearly straight up and down )

Try lifting the blade slightly to reload the front suspension on the truck also.

Jerre

14. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

Johnny, Jerre

Thanks so much for all the good info.. :salute:

No, no light on the joystick controller (i wish it did :mad:), just on the touch pad i believe.

The manual says:::
    " Lowered or Float PositionPushing the joystick forward, toward the
    "Lower/Float" designation on the label. Pushing and momentarily
    holding the control in this position will allow the
    snowplow to "float", or follow the contour of the
    ground when moving forward or backward. "

btw 90% of the plowing i do is on gravel - single lane roads or driveways

so i do that and sometimes it seems ok, and other times i will only make it ten feet and the plow will dig in and fold forward :realmad:
    so is it working or isn't it ??? i really dont know :blush2:

So this afternoon I used it as a straight blade and it seemed to work much better. It was also zero last night and we have more frost in the ground. But i didnt buy a speedwing to use it as a straight blade...

Do you guys think this is all caused by my trucks ride height?????????

I measured it this afternoon
    with the plow fully down it's at 14.5" .... 13" with it raised

Thanks again

15. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

Pic this afternoon

plow3.jpg

16. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I would say that your push bar is a little too high. I am currently making a drop bracket for mine. Right now mine is at 15" and it is as low as it can go. It looks fine with the blade straight( my edges are broken in from last season) but when angled the leading edge is on the ground while the trailing edge is off the ground about an inch. My last truck was just as big as my new one and I ran an 810 with no problems. I don't know why but the speed wing seems to require a more specific push bean height( JMO). As far as your plow digging in it sounds fine to me. Plowing gravel W/O frozen ground or a packed layer of snow makes it really easy for any plow to dig right in. Just try and keep your blade right above the road untill it freezes. All of that loose gravel will take the paint off of your new plow faster than you'll like. Good Luck!!!

17. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

tks, i did notice it was better today after some frost got into the ground..

18. redrocket

redrocket Junior Member

When I first got my 810 in 2004 I wasn't sure it was the plow for me because of the bulldozing effect on unfrozen gravel. My old plow I could drop and not worry about digging in. If its soft ground and I've got wings out and she bites down it will stop the truck! Hitting horn with body reminds me of that. Once the ground freezes its much better. Now I wouldn't trade it for anything. If its not frozen ground you really have to work the control to keep it up a pinch. Fortunately I have not had to plow a large depth of snow on soft ground. This is my only negative to the blizzard.

19. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

20. MuskokaDon

MuskokaDon Member

I totally agree, the frost (or lack of) in the ground is the issue.. it was better yesterday, and worked like a dream this morning now that we've had a few nights of cold temps...

btw guys, it WONT STOP SNOWING HERE!!!! another 6"-12" in the forecast for the next 24hrs! WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!

check this out....
    Today Rain mixed with wet snow changing to flurries at times heavy and snow squalls near noon. Snowfall amount 10 cm. Wind west 30 km/h gusting to 50. High plus 1.
    Tonight Flurries at times heavy and snow squalls. Amount 10 to 20 cm. Wind west 30 km/h becoming light this evening. Low minus 6.
    Friday Flurries at times heavy and snow squalls ending late in the day then cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Amount 10 to 20 cm. Wind becoming southwest 30 km/h in the morning then northwest 20 late in the day. High zero.

pic as of 9:40am this morning

nov29.jpg