1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new blade question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by coppertec, Oct 1, 2013.

1. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

hey all,

newb question I am comparing a few plows that I will be installing on my Silverado this season. I am new to this so I haven't had the chance to test any plow in the field my self so I turned to the forums to get an idea. I am limited to about 6-7k for this so I automatically assumed I could only afford a straight blade, which I have priced out at 6400-6800 installed.

I did finally get a quote on a Vee just to see what the cost difference would be and comparing the western pro series 2 at 6300, she told me it was only an 800 walk to a Vee plow.

if I am doing light commercial + residential driveways, what should I use? was told that the 7 foot western blade would be great for me since it is maneuverable and depending on my front axle, a good weight, but I thought Vees would be more maneuverable?

any suggestions or pros/ cons to share for either style?

truck is a 2011 Silverado 2500hd WT regular cab with a plow package. dunno the front axle weight yet.

thanks!

2. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

7' is too small for your truck. You need a MINIMUM of a 7'-6". You should be able to find a v blade for your budget without much problem.

3. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

I thought it would be too small too. dunno why that woman was saying it would work well when I told her it was for commercial type jobs.

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Was she blonde cuz you should never ever ever never never ever ever never never ever ever take advice from blonde, unless you're married to her

5. 1olddogtwo

how is Calgary recovering from all the flooding earlier this year?

6. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

didn't get a chance to ask her over the phone if she was :jester:

ill have to ask to speak to a brunette or a raven next time I call

7. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

overall, the city rebounded incredibly well. some people are still recouping what they lost (homes, businesses etc) but it was really impressive and inspiring to see the city come together to rebuild. high river got it a lot worse than we did I think.

never thought I would see something like that happen to a city like Calgary b.c our rivers are pretty rinky dink the rest of the time

8. 1olddogtwo

You really need to get ahold of Mishnick here on PS. He has a shop up in Calgary, he'll set you straight

9. 1olddogtwo

we were up there the end of June and July. we actually did the Calgary Stampede

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcItXG1ScM4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

we still have a small army of people working projects in High River. we're doing damn near entire town.

10. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

thank you for the lead, I will shoot him a msg asap!

cheers

11. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

guess i'll have to broaden my definition of "community"

all I can say is thanks to you and your people working hard on everything!

12. coppertec

coppertec Member
    from calgary

hey guys im going to take a look at a used blade this weekend. anything I should be on the lookout for/be wary of?