1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Blade from Western Dealer

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cargochief, Feb 1, 2010.

1. cargochief

cargochief Junior Member

Hey guys just bought a new blade from the Western dealer in Tulsa and it lasted 40 Hrs. The original blade that was on plow when I got it lasted about 95 hrs and was a 30% worn when I got the plow. It's a Western unimount 8.5 pro on a 02 F350. Don't run shoes never have They told me that what they sold me and what came off are the same steel. I'm thinking I got screwed out of $175.00. Any way I can determine if they are or aren't the same steel before I dispute the charges. Most of my work is Target's and Home Depot's. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

maybe try a 1/2 edge vs a 3/8.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

4. cargochief

cargochief Junior Member

I might give that a try but does anybody think it's the same steel?

5. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

pro plows come with half inch blades, if you bought the plow used, they prolly cheaped out when they previously changed the blade!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not on a Pro they don't. A Pro Plus yes, but they're were no Pro Plus's when there were Unimounts. Even todays Ultra Pro's are equipped with 3/8" edges.

May have been a generic edge. Not to say there's a guarantee with a brand name one either. :whistling:

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Most off-the-shelf cutting edges are going to be 10-series steel, none of which are really well-known for their abrasion resistance. A set of Winter Xtendors will help extend the life of your edge It's really more a function of lane-miles that you plow, not hours.

http://www.winterequipment.com/winter_sell-web.html

8. cargochief

cargochief Junior Member

Hey John that's good info but let me ask you this. Do you know particulars on 10 series steel? I know its high carbon but there should be some numbers associated with that. This is what the guy at the western dealer told me he said what he sold me and what I have are the same. I don't believe him.
    Thanks Kurt

9. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Kurt, my best guess would be that it is 1080.

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=37ca3458dfbe482fbe1efdf59d52e424&ckck=1

Short of going with an AR 400 plate (which I was considering, and decided would likely be too brittle in the temperature range that it would be used in...), I would buy the Winters Xtendors. They're fairly reasonable, and some guys report 3-4X life increase compared to just a steel edge alone.

http://centralparts.com/Accessories/Curb-Guards/HD-Curb-Guard-for-Pickup-Plows/20328/

10. cargochief

cargochief Junior Member

Thanks for all the input guys I decided to with a 1/2" blade and the extendors. The last blade from western I'm just going to chalk up as lesson learned. I won't be over there anymore ever and the other stuff I bought from them that day I'm returning today.

11. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

well my two unimounts were new and both were pro's and had 1/2" edges

12. desmato

desmato Junior Member

The last 1/2" wear bar I bought, (6years) was $50 plus bolts. Now they want $137 ?!?!?!

What was the cost for the "winter extenders" ? their website says "call for current pricing" which I think is a load. It's the internet, you can change your pricing at any time so why not post it.

13. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Yes they have gone up quite a bit. I had several in the barn but had to go buy one last year, $103.00 at J.Thomas.