1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Blade for SS>did I make a mistake

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Dumpster Guy, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Thanks in advance guys I am a true newbie hear and to the plow scene! I have been reading these posts for a year and still trying to get it together.
    I bough this plow(below) from John Deere. My concern is that the blade doesn't have any float side to side. Is the steel edge going to cause serious damage on uneven surfaces?

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=65919

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Does that blade trip?

3. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Yes it does it has four trip springs, john deer says that there is a rubber edge available for $160. Is there a down side to the rubber edge?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Then it'll be great then. You can loosen the trip springs abit if your worried about it doing any damage.

5. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

novice mistake on my part, I went to the plow to look at the trip springs and found a lock-out bolt (the top one). I ran the blade on asphalt and found it to be real solid, too solid?? But i guess that lock-out nut is to do exactly that, so you can use the blade for light grading. Still find it strange that it doesn't float side to side but then again I will see when I remove that lock-out nut!

nut.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

On a blade that size lateral float won't matter, our 12 and 14 ft pushers don't have it.

7. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

I was involved in manufacture and sales of skid steer loader attachments for 25 years and did snow blades for 10 of those years. While desirable, oscillation (side-to-side float) is not an absolutely necessary. Your skid steer loader is narrow enough and has a short enough wheel base that you will follow the changes in contour okay. It just won't scrape quite as well as if you had some oscillation. Eventually, you will get have some slop develop in cylinder pins that will provide some oscillation. In fact, that is how one brand that I am familiar with used to get their oscillation, loose pins in cylinder connections to moldboard, gave them approximately 2-3 degrees of oscillation. Most skid steer loader blades are "rigid" and have little or no oscillation built into them. I used to import blades from Sweden and they had an oscillation axle between the blade and the mounting frame that allowed approximately 6-7 degrees of oscillation and my blades scraped a little better than the typical skid steer loader blade made in the USA. Long story short...I think that you will be okay.

I would be a little more concerned with the size of the blade pivot bolts (right below the lockout bolt). It looks awfully small, appears to be 1/2-5/8".

Good luck this winter and I hope you make lots of money!

8. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 78 inch Thomas dozer blade that I use some times and it has no trip at all! It does a good job but I have to opperate it nice and easy. You will be fine IMO.

Very nice setup! I love the hook lift!

9. Dumpster Guy

Dumpster Guy Member

Thanks guys, I thought I had made a mistake. Trying to make careful decisions this year and focus on the money making instead of the money spending.

Mike> I love the hooklift it's the swiss army knife of contracting, I am ordering a bigger size with a variable hook for the new year.