1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New BIG Boss plow...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bighornjd, Nov 5, 2010.

1. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Just kidding.:jester: It's not new or a Boss. But it is BIG, and it's still red...:D
    [​IMG]

Have to get some better pics soon. Working on getting the salt spreader mounted up this weekend then it gets the hydraulics plumbed next week. Hopefully the snow holds off till after Thanksgiving, then I hope Mother Nature lets it rip.payup

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Sweet :nod:

3. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

That looks like a curved red billboard! its HUGE

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

cant wait to see it ....lots of pics inside and out !!!!! remind me what year again ?

5. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Yeah I guess i should have given some specs. It's an '88 IH S1900 DT466 5-speed tranny with a 9' dump body, 32000 GVW. The plow is a 10' Valk power angle off an ex-municipal truck. The moldboard is 42" tall!!! 6.5 feet to the top of the markers when its on the ground! The hydraulics aren't done yet, I'm having a local shop do the hydraulic lines and wiring. I'm doing all the fabricating and mounting myself with some help from my father and brother in-laws. Electric over hydraulic pump for the plow and the spreader will run off the PTO pump on the transmission that dumps the body. Just a standard steel undertailgate on the back, it's old and rusty but I'm cleaning and painting it up as good as I can hoping to get a year or two out of it then I might try to upgrade to something better. Have to get some better pics as it comes along. Just snapped this one today quick when test fitting and moving the plow. It's just short chained up in the air in this shot. thanks for the compliments so far. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  6. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

WOW that is huge. Very nice set up though cant wait to see the pics:nod:

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

What are you plowing with it? (parking lots, roads, ect.)

8. xtreem3d

bighorn,
    we have corresponded about these trucks before here are a few of mine. it sounds like we both have the same plan as to what to do with our trucks. i hope to use it then upgrade at some point. it looks bad cosmetically but is fairly sound mechanically although i haven't gotten my inspection yet.
    1. is the truck side. getting rid of the stack and going to weld up all the bolt holes, already have bought a new bed for it
    2.bed lights are gone so they rigged this up but i am redoing it like most trucks you see
    3.all 6 tires were brand new
    4.front of truck with IL DOT plow setup. windshield is not cracked , (the trees reflection)
    5.have found a partial donor truck and have replaced the right side fender

DSCN0259.JPG

DSCN0258.JPG

DSCN0260.JPG

DSCN0262.JPG

DSCN0261.JPG

9. xtreem3d

6. driver rocker and jam was rusted out. was able to get a rocker but had to fab a jam
    7door panels redone
    8 dash...it looks a mess but looks good in person
    9 central hydraulics
    10 dash again with the IL DOT panel installed

DSCN0263.JPG

DSCN0264.JPG

DSCN0265.JPG

DSCN0266.JPG

DSCN0267.JPG

10. xtreem3d

last one of drivers panel redone. BIGHORN not trying to hijack your thread just wanted to show you some pics can't wait to see yours. if you have any parts links please post them
    steve

DSCN0268.JPG

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I want to see some vids of that 42"-er in action. Looks like a real monster. Hope it works out for you.

12. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Roads. Got the contract for the borough near me. Just the streets right in town, Main street and another not quite as 'main street' that runs parallel, both not even 1.5 miles long, then about a dozen smaller side streets and alleys.

xtreem3d, your truck looks good, won't take much to get it in good shape from the pics. I don't have any IH specific parts sources for you other than the dealer. But for universal stuff like lights, accessories, and general truck parts, www.truckntow.com is a good site with good prices. www.awdirect.com is another good one, a little better selection, but a bit more expensive on some stuff. good luck with your truck.:drinkup:

My FIL welding brackets to mount the spreader...
    [​IMG]

Got the salt spreader primed last night and mounted today and all the extra lights mounted, wired, and working. Just have to paint the spreader and mount the plow pump and spreader valve in the cab. No more pics yet, I took the plow and spreader back off as I need the truck the first part of this week. Then it goes to the hydraulics shop at the end of the week to get all the hoses run and pump wired. Hopefully I'll have it back by next weekend, and it will be ready for snow other than a few odds and ends. When I get it back, I'll be sure to get lots of pics of the finished product. :cool:

13. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

awesome, looks like a beast.