1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Battery

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 802PlowMan, Dec 10, 2010.

1. 802PlowMan

802PlowMan Junior Member
    from 05495

I'm looking to get a new battery because my check gauges light comes on and the voltage meter drops real low. Its a 02 Ram 1500 with the stock battery. Just wondering what you guys are running for batteries? What works for you ?

2. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have a Die Hard Platinum in mine. No issues so far. Starts the truck fine in -40 temps.

3. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I have the Gold one and the last one i had was exactly the same one (die hard gold) and lasted 8 yrs..

4. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

2nd Die Hard Platinum, they are AGM type and are made by the folks that make Odyssey batteries, who are very well know and quite pricey (more than the $200 for a DH platinum). AGM are great for the severe duty of a plow truck, including high discharge/recharge amperages. They also have higher power density. Optima is a well known brand of AGM type batteries.

5. hitachiman 200

hitachiman 200 Senior Member

150 amp alternator and dual 850 batteries are a plowmans best friend. A good battery is only as good as the alternator charging it.Same goes for Alternator, it needs a good set of batteries to charge.
    nough said on that one
    Happy Plowing
    :drinkup:

6. OptimaJim

OptimaJim Junior Member

802PlowMan, hitachiman 200 gives some great advice about checking the health of your alternator. I would hate to see you spend money on a new battery, only to find out your alternator (or something else) was the source of your problems. If you measure the voltage of your battery at the terminals while your truck is running, it will give you the output of your alternator and should be approximately 13.7-14.7 volts. Just as a battery is only as good as the alternator charging it, the same can be said of the wiring connecting the two. One-wire alternators are especially-sensitive to good, quality grounds.

If your alternator and wiring are up to snuff and you do end up purchasing a battery, you should make sure you look at batteries designed for deep-cycle use. Cranking amps are an important consideration, but they are by no means the only consideration. A starting battery (RedTop) will generally offer more cranking amps than a comparably-sized deep-cycle battery, but it will not be as resilient in a deep-cycle application over the long haul, as a battery designed for deep-cycle use (YellowTop). If you have any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
    eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
    www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

7. 802PlowMan

802PlowMan Junior Member
    from 05495

Thank you guys very helpful. I ended up going to AutoZone last night and had someone there test my battery and alternator ending up being the battery was shot. I knew i would have to plow this morning seeing it snowed from 4pm last night and is still snowing now we had about 6 inches this morning. So I ended up buying and AutoCraft Gold battery 850 O degree cranking amps and 1000 at 32 degrees from auto zone it was 100 dollars cheaper than the Optima yellow top and he had the battery in-stock and would have had to order the optima. Seems like a good battery and worked well this morning with plowing although my battery voltage did drop once considerably but not even close to as much and it bounced back real quick. Hopefully I made a good decision going with this battery.

8. b&b landscapes

b&b landscapes Member

i would say that your voltage is dropping because the alt may be good from a test at autozone, but it isnt capable of the demands of a plow....

our plows draw enormous power when in use, I would def recommend finding a higher amp alt AND replace the alt fuse in your fuse block (if you have one) to accomodate the higher amp alt...

9. 01lariat

01lariat Member

Motorcraft batteries in my Ford vehicles. OEM seems to be a very good option. Not sure what Dodge uses, but it probably is a pretty good unit also. Pop in an 850 or better, and it sounds as if you should consider getting yourself a alternator suitable for plow duty.

10. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

its always a good idea to replace the wire from the Alt to the battery when you upgrade your alternator.

I believe I replaced mine with a 250 amp, and the instructions that came with it suggested an 8 gauge wire

11. 802PlowMan

802PlowMan Junior Member
    from 05495

Yea I've been looking around for a heavy duty Alt. I know for sure that I do need an upgrade the stock one just isnt cutting it.

12. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

13. Diehard Platinum #1

there is no better battery for the money -- imo
    all these years I had dual batteries and now run this as a single with a 130amp alt.

best suggestion:
    A. check / replace the brushes in your alt
    B. replace the cables (+/-) on the Alt with battery cable size (mine are short battery cables)

btw: thank Jerre for that suggestion\

tc

14. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I had an old time altinator rebuilder tell me that its not the size of the alt or battery, its how fast the alt can recharge the battery.

Plows are designed for use on stock alts, but the more you use it the more it kills the battery, we all know this.
    But I have found that if I get the largest stock alt for my rig, usualy 95-120 amp and run a good battery, such as the Motorcraft that are used in the Police cars that I do not have any problems (so far)...

One thing that helps, is to turn off all that crap that you have eating power, don't need the laptop, microwave, gps, satradio on, but the coffee pot is a must have!!

15. 802PlowMan

802PlowMan Junior Member
    from 05495

Thanks who, i think im gonna contact a starter alternator company thats local and possibly look into getting a smaller pulley on the alt. or do something to give it a little more juice.

16. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

NP..

tell them what you are doing and what your rig is, they can build you something that will get the job done and for about half(most times) of what you can buy a high output from a box store.

I had the shop here fix me one for my now gone Wagoneer, was a combo of a Wagoneer and Caddy Alt, was 165 amp and cost me 120 bucks after taxes

17. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

HI guys, Ive been reading this post & will use the advice for when I need it for sure.
    I've been playing with the idea of getting a light duty pick up for plowing (f150 or a 1500 series).
    Normally I run diesels.

In regards to the alternators I have a question,
    I just replaced one in a chevy 2500 diesel (about a month or so ago)
    Last time I replaced it was last year at this same time (still less than a year) it was a re-build.
    They didnt warranty it. They said because my truck is used for commercial purposes, the warranty is only for 3 months.
    I found that kind of odd but,,, because I plow this mechanic shops lot, I didnt want to make a stink about it.

So, not to go off topic,,,, but whats the normal warranty on alternators ?

Thanks