1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New back-up light

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by steve fdr, Oct 24, 2007.

1. steve fdr

steve fdr Junior Member

2. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Looks like they would become useless if you back into a snow bank while plowing. I would rather mount some thing above the bumper, or in a bed side stake pocket.
  3. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Thats when you put the coffee down, get out, stretch your legs and wipe off the lenses. :)

I do a lot of backing up in storms at certain sites and a few times a night I clean my lenses. They get covered with snow even without backing into anything and those are so low profile I cant see them getting hit or anything.

Other than the "3M mounting tape deal" they look like a steal for 30 bucks. Hell buy two sets. I just use the rubber tractor lights. 10 bucks apiece. But I think they are only about 20 watts if that. I may upgrade to a brighter lamp, but at the moment am actually lookinginto the HID reverse light replacement bulbs for backing. I use the lights I have to illuminate the spreader pattern mostly.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

They just suggest you mount them on the side of the hitch to prevent breakage.

You could rig up something to mount them on top and just run a wire down or mount them in a different location.
  5. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

If you only want to do it once and never have to think about them again, I'd pony up the $30 each light, and get a pair of CAT work lights from the skidsteers, Lamp G they call it. Toughest and brightest lights I've ever seen, and a great spread on the light pattern. If you want pics, let me know.
  6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i agree. especially since i just have the toungue sticking out under the bumper not a full wide exposed hitch like that. (does that make since?) thing is. me being me trying to wire that to a switch would be a lengthy process. probably involve duck tape and a cut off saw before it was done. wiring is not my forte'. i see it says no drilling to but im wondering how good they would stick after being knocked a couple times and being on for a season.
    love the price.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

Hey Mr Blueline Enterprises...

I actually took a ride to find your place of business to see what you sell and perhaps get a set of those back up lights installed, but I ended up on a residential street and could not see any "business" there...Do you operate out of a house?? I actually asked a policeman sitting alongside the road about your address and mentioned your name and he knew you or new of you...let me know and I'll come down again...maybe have you do some other stuff too...

Ron B (Mowbizz)
  8. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Ron check your PM
  9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I had a set of these (still have them actually), got them at a discount parts store, all they are is a cheap version of the KC brand backup light kit. I mangled mine up a bit so I went to the rubber mounted ones I posted in another thread. They were okay but nothing special, and they won't take much abuse since they are rigid mount. I bent the mounts all up but the lenses are okay. I'm planning on mounting them to the framerails under my cab. I always recommend rubber mounted work lights, but if you want to do something like that you can get cheapy fog lights at autozone or Walmart for $15-$20.