1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New-B Here...

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by nherweck, Nov 1, 2005.

1. nherweck

nherweck Junior Member

Hi Everyone! I just started offering snow removal as a service to current and new customers. I have a nice snow thrower and a set of ramps to load the thrower into my truck. How would I big on my clients' snow removal prices? Do I give them a PER VISIT price or would I give them a PER MONTH price? What type of pricing to I go with? The average driveway will be about 30-40 feet long and two cars wide. I will also be removing snow from sidewalks and walkways. Should I offer two different packages; one being the WHOLE driveway and sidewalk cleaned, and the other being just TWO STRIPS on the driveway cleaned for the vehicle to drive in? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My email is nherweck@fiveguysandalawnmower.com . THANKS AGAIN!!!:waving:
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Talk to your customer. Do what they want and you can agree with. Pricing - charge what you think it's worth. I have always charged per trip and depth. Had customer who wanted to switch to a set price per month. I have a lot of historical data, so I just charged him so much for the season (seasonal pricing) and divided by 5 (# of months from Nov to March). He understands he'll pay that every month regardless if it snows or not.
  3. westwind

westwind Member

We offer monthly, seasonal and per time options. per-time times 15 snowfalls = seasonal, divide this by 5 mo. and you get your monthly.payup
  4. nherweck

nherweck Junior Member

I like that method quite a bit, but now im wondering about how I should price the per time lots. The average driveway in my area is 40 feet long and about 16 feet wide. Plus there is the 60 feet of 2 foot wide sidewalk and walkways. So, basically, the average square footage of a driveway is 760 sq. ft. How should I price a driveway that large?
  5. westwind

westwind Member

Hard to say, up here we charge more for time than by sq.ft. you will notice that different zones in the USA charge differently. My price would be 35.00 per plow and another 15 to 20 for the walk. We live in a pricey area however, this of course is also determined by how close the accounts are to each other. Don't forget to consider drive time, if any. Good Luck!
  6. J HIsch

J HIsch Member

Go with the per occurence price. $40-$65 per event. If you go with seasonal price ensure you have a long term argreement with them. Such as 3 years. You may make out one year and not the next but usually over a 3 year period you will comew out okay. Go with the high average of the number of event for your area. Try to do as much work as possible at one location less drive time. So I would bid sidewalks and driveways. Dont give them the cheaper option unless they ask only for the drive or sidewalk only.