1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New axle or redrill?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mario, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Mario

Mario Junior Member

Thanks for the replies!:)
    I want to buy a set of almost new 35 " tires with 8 lug-16" wheels that are selling for $200. I need to know what is the cheapest way to use these on my 85 Chevy half-ton with its six lug axle? New axle or redrill? Sorry I am asking so much but I am just not made of money as most of us aren't?
  2. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Hey Mario,
    I've never experimented with re-drilling the axles, but there are also some other options you have. Are the rims 16 inch or 16.5 inch? I ask because I think it is fairly recently that manufacturers started makeing a 35 inch tire for 16 inch rimes. Now, your truck has 6 lug wheels, and 10 bolt axles front and rear. I know it would be pretty easy to find six lug 16 inch wheels, but I'm not sure about 16.5 inch. My thinking is this, you could get the good deal on your tires and wheels, and get an affordable set of rims that you could bolt right on to your truck. If you decide to redrill your axles, you will need new brake drums and rotors for sure, and I'm not even sure if this is a safe alternative. Or you could put used 3/4 ton or 1 ton (3/4 bolt right up, 1 ton has different width springs in the rear) axles under it, and then you're getting far away from the goal of keeping it affordable. I'd try to find a set of wheels with your bolt pattern, and have the new tires mounted on those. 200 bucks is a great deal if they're in good shape. Make sure you have an affordable and safe way to make this work before you buy anything.... Hope this helps.