1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New attachment, Public Debut...about a month late

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by J&L, Jan 16, 2014.

1. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

A little background on our situation. We do the snow removal for a large distribution warehouse (800-900 trailers on the lot at any given time) and have always been using a 14' offset fixed angle front mount wing on a skid steer to clean far enough underneath the trailers. This method worked, but anything over 2 inches required more of a swooping in and out method rather than quickly making a straight line down every aisle.

After our crew got about 2 uses out of this machine, they had our skid steer time clearing under all the trailers cut in half.

Yes, they make back blades, but we don't own or intend on renting any large front wheel assist tractors in the near future. We needed something for a skid steer to handle and this is what I came up with.

I'm interested to hear some feedback on it. Either positive or negative...I can handle it:nod: I'm just curious as to any thoughts, comments, and/or questions on it. Took me about a month to complete it just working on it after work and on the weekends.

If the videos load right, you will see it in action. auger is at about 30% in all of them as all the videos I have are from the very first time we got to operate it with snow. max hyd flow should put it close to 350-400 rpm, I'd have to look at my notes again to be certain, been a while since I was at that stage.

2013-03-17 17.38.05.jpg

2013-03-25 19.35.55.jpg

2013-03-25 19.36.30.jpg

2013-04-05 22.26.20.jpg

2013-04-05 22.25.57.jpg
  2. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

I guess the max pics I could upload was 5..

2013-08-28 20.01.11.jpg

2013-08-28 20.02.06.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 5.jpg
  3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Thats awesome. And looks dangerous lol
  4. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

safe as any 3pt or hydraulic snow blower attachment!;)
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't have any truck yards like that, but you custom built a machine to pull the snow out from under the front of trailers and spit it out into the aisle?? Nice build, looks like the cats arse for that job!!! :D
  6. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Looks great, would love to see a video of it in action.
  7. RoseMan806

RoseMan806 Member

That is amazing!
  8. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Looks sweet. How is it on hard pack? I wonder if an angle would help? Better get a patent quick.
  10. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

11. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

That was thought about, but the angle would just make it overall longer. I figured the speed of the auger would be more sufficient than any appropriate angle I put on it.

And yes, it is patent pending as of 2 months ago....just in case anyone tries to pull anything :nono: ;)
  12. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

as far as the hard-pack, the company typically doesn't allow us to start plowing until after about 3 or 4 inches depending on the storm. That being said, the amount of truck traffic on the snow prior to us plowing is pretty substantial. Peels off very well, though.
  13. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I guess I don't understand why you need a auger when you could just make it the same length and offset but just have it be a plow with a flared roll on the end like a hi way plow. Or couldn't you just buy a 18' Daniels wing plow? How far under the trailers does it have to reach? I just think that auger is slowing you down.
  14. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

His skid steer didn't have the power or traction to push the offset blade he already had in use. So, he built a tool that saves his crew a lot of time.
  15. J&L

J&L Member
    from Iowa

Correct, the angle blade we were previously using was 14' angled length at about a 25 degree angle. To get it to roll off of any moldboard the width of the equipment and atleast 7' under the trailer (to get past the king pin and axles) you have to be moving at a pretty good clip, much faster than any 2 speed skid. I think I would be safe to say that an angle blade, sized at what we have been using, would need an operating speed somewhere in the neighborhood of 25+ mph to make it windrow and discharge effectively.
  16. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

That is amazing!! Good job on the build!!! You should make a few a year and sell them!! What is the auger from?
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Thanks for that clarification...I get what he did.:rolleyes:

No way you'd have to be going 25+mph. It looked like you were going 5mph in the second video in 2" of snow and it was filling up. So if that was at 30% speed like you said, please show a video at full speed. It just looked like you were going so slow with it.

It looks like you built it well and it works, I just don't think the skid and this auger you built is the most efficient combo for the job. Got any video of the 14' blade working for a comparison?
  18. MisterG

MisterG Junior Member

Very impressive, both the idea and the execution.
  19. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Very nice , did you rape a Zamboni for the auger?
  20. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Good work.