1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New at this

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kylecal91, Dec 29, 2009.

1. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

This is my first year doing very light snow removal. I have a few small commerical jobs but they are great cause they are reliable. Also have about 10 residential customers. (No I don't have a plow, I do it the old fashioned way with a shovel and a snow blower for now. I would like to get a plow but didn't want to rush into making big decisions like plowing and insurance and whatever else is involved in heavy commercial snow removal without knowing more about it.) So, with all that said, Tell me everything I need to know on how to be well educated in this field. I know you guys are good at what you do and pass all that info on to the rest of us. Thanks!
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

welcome to plowsite, i am going to give you some really good advice to start, do 10 posts, doesn't matter where they are (besides equipment sales and off topic) after you have 10 posts, you are allowed to do searches, this kind of question is asked about 2 times a week, so you are going to get a bunch of sarcastic smart@ss comments. Best suggestion i can make, do some posts, use search button, if you have any questions feel free to ask me
  3. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Do you have a truck that you can plow with? If you do, then all you need is the plow itself and insurance, which should pay for themselves relatively quickly since you already have some accounts
  4. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

I have a 1 ton dodge cummins with a dump box on it. But we don't get enough snow around here most of the time to make any money. We just had about 20 in. of snow 2 weeks ago. That has been our best snow in 3 years. So I don't know if it's worth buying all this stuff to not use it that often. But then again, I don't know much about this biz hence the reason I'm on here!
  5. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

If you had a 20 inch snow then ide really look into a plow I myself just started doing snow removal this year and we have only gotten 1 inch so far and im out about $4,800 for my plow alone lol
  6. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

It seems like it's a risky business, your truck takes a huge beating, plows are expensive, insurance is expensive, and after you pay for all that stuff you have to wait for snow to make money on it. I just don't know if I have the income level to support that kind of expense right now. This is my first year in business. But you're right I'll be kicking myself if we get a lot of snow this year and don't buy one lol decisions decisions...
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you READ here on the different forums you WILL get all your questions answered.
    Tons of info here.
  8. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

the thing is customers well NEED you for that one 20inch snow fall, that is the important thing, offer seasonal contracts instead of per push or hourly, that way you have some money coming in to cover those expenses
  9. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

What is your average snowfall for the year in your area? That will help answer whether or not you get enough snow to invest in equipment. But I am pretty sure you get plenty of snow. You won't make much the first couple years as you are buying equipment to service your accounts. Do a good job and take care of your equipment and everything will work out for you.;)
  10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I know I will get bashed for this but, there is no need to buy NEW equipment. If you can find a deal on a plow for your Dodge I think it would be a wise investment. Especially if you get another 20 inch storm. By the way how do you service a commercial account with a shovel?
  11. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

What year is you Dodge? I might be able to help you find a plow for it. Get a plow if you can afford it. It will pay for itself over time. I expect you will see more snow this winter. I understand the last couple of years has been just about snowless for you. Its been the same for me. I dont think we had 20 inches total if you add the snowfall totals from the last 5 years together. So it was nice to get a good snow again. I dont know what part of Pa your in but where im at in Md we cant sell seasonal contracts. Noboby wants to put up money for what usually doesnt need to be done. Hell we had 1 plowable event last year and it was only 3 inches. But the ice has kept us busy for the last couple of years. You just need to have the right equipment for when the snow does fall. And depending on the size of the drives or lots you are doing a snow blower or 2 and some shovels are just going to help you get a real good work out.
  12. Dobber

Dobber Junior Member

Hey bud, if you do decide to get that plow, look on craigslist. i bought my plow for $850 on there and its a v blade. i looked on there in what i guessed your area was, according to google pams york is in south central, and theres a fisher 7.5 straight on there that fits the 01 style rams for 2100 on hellum PA. hope that helped a little

13. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

Thanks guys, I will definitely look into what the average snowfall per year is. Even though I think this year is going to be different. I totally agree with buying used equipment, if you look at all my stuff I start out with used then upgrade over time (done that with everything so far) so I am not apposed at all to that. I have small commercial and residential accounts there would be no way for me to do larger jobs right now! maybe I'll get some pics of the next snow to show you guys what I mean. BTW my truck is a 96 dodge cummins 3500
  14. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

15. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

I read most of their tips on their website. That's really nice they do that for people! I felt even dumber when I read the tips then before I had read them, never really thought of all the things that can go wrong with just your truck alone! Not to mention all the stuff you can hit and how to plow when the snow is like this and wow! Always plenty to learn about!