1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

new at this snow removal thing and need some advice on pricing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by landscaper24, Dec 1, 2004.

1. landscaper24

landscaper24 Junior Member

I decided to get into snow removal and found my self a commercial property that was interested in my service. i was wondering what would be a fair price labor wise to get the job done? there are four lots:
    lot A) 60ftx200ft
    b) 120ftx160ft
    c)120ftx120ft
    d) 30ftx80ft

how long do u think it will take to plow. we set our mark at every 2 inches. they also want salt laid down and there are some small sidewalks to shovel. I have a jeep sahara 4x4 with a 6 ft plow.also if anyone does residential driveways- what would be a good price for an average size driveway 20x30 and sidewalks. thanks.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Before anybody can even start to help, they'll need A LOT more information. But one thing - Do you have any experience plowing snow?

Pricing is very regional, so maybe someone closer to you can guide you in the right direction. Generally, you can figure someone with experience and using an 8' plow can clear an acre of lot with no obstructions in an hour.

Are you carrying liability insurance that will cover you for retail or whatever type of commercial lot that is?

What are you going to use to put down salt with?

3. landscaper24

landscaper24 Junior Member

thanks for the help

i have no experience plowing which is kind of scary and i know i wont be able to learn until it snows. im hoping to just wing it and get by. liability insurance is something i have to get immediately. i have a salter that holds 400 lbs. i was hoping that would get the job done. thanks for the help. i really appreciate it!

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Having no experience, I'd suggest passing on any commercial plowing for a year or so. Avoid contracts and get a few driveways or advertise and just take one-time plows. Spend the first year learning and taking a lot of notes (mentally or written). Commercial plowing can get you in big trouble real quick - between their expectations, increased liability and your inexperience. I'm not putting you down in any way - you just want to build your reputation from the start and the way to do that is by having as much knowledge as possible BEFORE you need it. Mistakes are more easily corrected on driveways than, say, a WalMart parking lot. Also in figuring pricing. If you're off by 50% on driveway on a one-time plow, it's no big deal and a cheap lesson. Being off 50% on a seasonal bid for a WalMart lot would be total disaster.