1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New at plowing this year!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pwrstrkr, Oct 19, 2009.

1. pwrstrkr

pwrstrkr Junior Member
    from 18901

Hi,
    just wanted to say hi and ask a few quick questions. I have a 2000 ford f250 powerstroke and I'm thinking I want to get into plowing this winter to make some extra money over the winter. My budget only allows for a used plow in the $1500 range but I have found a fisher v-blade 8'6 plow that is looking like my best option. Is this a decent setup for my truck and what am I overlooking about getting into plowing in general? BTW I'll only be doing local driveways (long) and maybe some parking lots and small businesses lots. thanks in advance!

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Welcome aboard,,,,
    first and foremost, I have a friend named search button,,,he's a good dude to click on.:redbounce

second, 1500 dollar budget, a large part of that will be spent on insurance, unless you already have it.

3. pwrstrkr

pwrstrkr Junior Member
    from 18901

Thanks for the advice. sorry to bother with questions that may have already been asked.... and the $1500 is what I have set aside in my budget for just the equipment. but do you think a 8'6 v plow is overkill for what I will be doing?

4. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

wasnt trying to be a rooster, just mentioning the search,,,,,

and as far as the V, this will be my first year with a V, I was always into staright blades but landed an excellent price on a V, from all I've heard they are well worth it, and very versatile, as far as OVERKILL no such thing in my mind,hehehehe, but seriously nah you'll be ok wth it, ballast recommended.

5. pwrstrkr

pwrstrkr Junior Member
    from 18901

Thanks! yeah I will definitely add the ballast and I have the same mindset on overkill.., go BIG or go home. haha. also, I'm not sure if my front suspension will be stiff enough for the plow? do you think I'll need add a leafs or helpers maybe?

6. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

You should be fine without ballast but the powerstroke diesel is a heavy engine. Might not hurt to throw some blocks up against the tailgate.

7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Your truck is more than up to the task of handling a plow. The front end will sag but its not too bad. If the sag is too much for you, check on some X-Code front springs. The stiffer spring will also help out in the handling department.

Throw a few hundred pounds of ballast in to help level the truck and you will be good to go.

8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Front suspension problems? Its not a Chevy :laughing:

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Ballast is weight IN the bed.....:rolleyes:
    and YES you will want about what the plow weighs for ballast weight.