1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New (at one time) truck!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Mar 25, 2010.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I woke up this morning seeing it as just another ordinary day, well, it ended with me having another truck in the arsenal. Here are the details:

1984 GMC 3500 dually with the 6.2 diesel 4*4. It currently has a flat bed on it that i'll be taking off and putting a dump body on it from another truck. It has a speedcast plow setup on it. It has VERY little rust on the body as well as the frame. There are a couple spots on the cab where some rust was fixed but the guy who owned it did it and did a great job. The truck starts right up and runs and drives well.

It needs two brake lines fixed but i'm just going to replace all of them and also could use a new exhaust system (from the header back) as well as a water pump. I'll be painting the cab black and lettering it to match my 06.

Does anyone have any idea whether i should set this truck up (and how exactly) to run the dump body from a PTO or if i should just make it into an electric/hyd. powered unit?

Any other things about this truck i should do or watch out for? Will be a fun project that will end with a very nice 3500 dump truck!
  2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Sounds like an oldie but a goodie! BUT- WE NEED PICS- don't leave us hanging Mike!:drinkup:

Congrats- I'd love to find myself a nice '80-87 K20, K25, K30! I should have bought the one JPMAKO had for sale a couple months back... hind sight is 20/20 :mad:
  4. mcwlandscaping

Alright alright, here are a couple pics from craigslist. I'm not going to run the truck until it is DONE. Hopefully in a month or so. The flat bed is getting taken off as soon as it gets to the shop, next weekend and we'll go from there. POR15 is going to be my friend on this one for sure but i'm not going to skimp out on anything that looks like it may need done now or in the neat future. She's gonna be sweet.....i hope! Plow will certainly be redone as well but that can be put off for awhile.

I may have just taken off the lettering and got it really road ready and used it but, whoever did the lettering used a real thin vynal and then clear coated over it...it looks very nicely done but it certainly can't just be taken off! Oh well, I'll be sure to take lots of pics of the process! I think i may have found a second dump truck that has a junk cab but a good dump bed on it last night for a donor truck, we'll see.

CL Pic 1.jpg

CL Pic 2.jpg

CL Pic 3.jpg
  5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

id go electric over hyd on the dump:nod:
  6. mcwlandscaping

That's what i was leaning towards as well, I just wanted some outside opinions first!

Thanks guys for the comments, i'm real excited about the project!
  7. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Go PTO-powered for the hoist if you can. Electrics are painfully slow and draw a lot of battery power. Also, PTO is way more powerful so no need to worry about having a heavier load than the truck can handle.
  8. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

AWESOME Mike! Congrats! I really wann get a personal truck this year but I am in the boat you were in(I need some place to put stuff)!