1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New at ice management

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kevlar, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Kevlar

Kevlar Junior Member
    from Gardner

I am not a professional by any means. I use a ATV and a 6' plow to do drives and small lots. This year I am offering ice management with a 50lb hopper on the back of my quad. I am curious what will or will not damage concrete drives and the best to use.

I as also trying to find the best way to get melt in bulk for about 20 driveways. I dont need a dump site by any means. Just something I can haul in my truck to refill the hopper from site to site.

Thank you for any insight.

One more thing. Fair pricing for a drive approx. 20x80.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. wisco-revi

wisco-revi Junior Member

magnesium chloride is recommended for new concrete especially when it is under 1 year old. since you just have a 50lb hopper i would just go with a pallet of bagged salt

3. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

Please ask your vendor for something in writing about MAG being ok on new concrete... when they refuse to give that to you then you can be assured it is not safe for concrete less then 1 year old.

4. wisco-revi

wisco-revi Junior Member

tests and chemical properties show MAG as you call it, is less corrosive to concrete and to steel/other iron alloys as well as less harmful to plants/landscaping as opposed to tradition sodium chloride rock salt. i don't need my supplier to tell me that. science tells me that. not saying MAG isnt corrosive but in a comparison against rock salt it is less corrosive than rock salt.

5. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

The problem is not corrosion (which almost any deicer is less corrosive then rock salt btw) but the magnesium chloride will chemically attack the NEW CONCRETE, not corrode it. To recommend using ANY chloride on concrete under 1 year old is wrong.

6. wisco-revi

wisco-revi Junior Member

ok then what about calcium magnesium acetate? what do u recommend?

7. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

For the Original Poster... depending on what report you read and who you speak to... for sidewalks you will want a straight Calcium or Magnesium, or even a Premium Blend.

8. wisco-revi

wisco-revi Junior Member

what is happening in this "attacking"? just curious. i didnt know about this.

9. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

The only product I have ever had a manufacturer OK for use on concrete 1 month to 1 year old is PURE CMA or Calcium Magnesium Acetate or NAAC or Sodium Acetate. As you can see these are not Chlorides and are not cheap (if you ever got a price under $55 a bag for a TL worth its not pure).

10. wisco-revi

wisco-revi Junior Member

i will keep that in mind.

11. Kevlar

Kevlar Junior Member
    from Gardner

Let me make this easier and less argumentative. All my drives are over 1 year old. Now, what would be recommended, i will not be applying layer after layer. Only here and there as requested by the customer. I do not want to go broke on the expense of buying ice melt either. So cheaper the better.

Thanks.

12. Chicago Dave

Chicago Dave Junior Member
    from chicago

go with rock salt by the pallet, you should be fine.

13. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

^^^ Agreed. If you want some more "umphh" look into a low end Blend with some Calcium or Magnesium in it or a Begged Treated salt with the same Calcium or Magnesium, just sprayed on. Some are not more then straight rock salt.

14. Will Do

Will Do Junior Member

I am going to be taking care of sidewalks and entryways at a church. How do I decide which blend to use? Concrete is over 6 years old. I was told not to use straight rock salt because it will be dregged into the building, but there are so many blends.

15. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You better check your science. I see that Schoenberg helped you out, but you seriously need to do some research before recommending and then getting upset when someone disagrees with you.

Why is Mag not allowed to be used on Iowa highways? And numerous other muni's have stopped using it?

DO a search for Michigan Tech's study on all 3 chlorides and determine for yourself what science has proved.

I would debate your last statement. Properly installed, cured, air entrained concrete is just fine if chlorides are used. The problem being, not many know if the above 3 traits are true.

I've dumped tons of salt on many different sections of concrete under 1 year old without a problem. And will continue to as needed.

Do you see "chloride" in that formulation?

Like I said, do a search for the study that MTU did a few years back. It will open your eyes.

Ummmm, isn't the customer paying for it? If priced properly, how would you go broke using ice melt?