1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Ariens Pro 26 possibly underpowered?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Goetso, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Goetso

Goetso Junior Member

Is it all in my head????
    I was wondering if any of you guys had one of these machines. I have just purchased this blower about a week ago and have roughly 5 hrs on it now. I have been playing around with it in my back yard to break it in, and moving about a 1-1/12 feet of undisturbed fairly loose snow. My concern is that even with the drive linkage adjusted to go as slow as it can safely go with out centering the friction disc too much, this engine seem to be really underpowered. It has the B&S 305cc engine (dont even know the hp. rating) and this thing just POUNDS when it starts to eat. Not like a rods coming out, but just a really hard banging! Sure its a pretty good load on it, but its just crawling and its not wet snow at all. It throws it very well, but it just concerns me a bit. It seems to keep the rpm fairly well, but you can really hear and feel the engine lugging.:confused:

It found it interesting that when you go to the 28"-36" then you get the 342cc engine. seems like a pretty broad width to have one size motor cover. I think I would like one of those motors!
    Thanks for any help!

2. mnmuskiemark

mnmuskiemark Junior Member

Depending on the model: 8hp - 13.5 lbs torque or 10hp - 14.5 lbs torque.

3. leon

leon Senior Member

ariens snow blower

Buy a clarence impeller kit from clarences small engines)

He advertises the kits on the web:

and solve that issue- the rotors four blades are picking up and throwing snow and the gap between the paddles and the housing is the pounding because the rotor is pushing through the snow on the perimeter- using fluid film, wd forty or cooking spray in a pinch will help with snow throwing too.

You have to remember you snow is packed by the simple act of gravity and melting and condensing and the rotor is undersized for the blower-every walk behind two stage suffers the same problems except for the Zaugg commercial snow blowers and the numerous european and Japanese snow blowers built for deep snows on sidewalk and jogging/bike paths and the new Yamaha tracked snow blowers.

Using only half the width or a third of the width of the blowers cut works well but it takes longer to do.

Powder snow accumulations are not an issue but the heavier snows are the problem
    just because they are heavier in weight creating more mass.
    Be sure to use high Octane gas and a little seafoam in the fuel and a couple drops in each tank full.

leon :waving: