1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

New Arens snow blower- faulty? Unimpressed. Old one better?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clydesdale, Feb 5, 2016.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale Junior Member

I used a 1 year old Arens snow blower today. It has a 12.5 torque motor and is a 28 inch cut. It feels absolutely gutless compared to my 15 year old Arens 10/28 with a 10hp Tecumseh engine. Is this thing faulty or is this the way they are now. It boggs right down, even with today's 3-4 inch storm of wet snow. I am not impressed. Should I upgrade to a different model? Thoughts? Thanks.
  2. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction Senior Member

Mine is I think 5 years old (maybe 6). I think it does real good. What model did you get? I got one of the smaller, higher end models from my local dealer. I have never heard good things from the consumer ones at Home Depot. The only time it bogged was when I was blowing 2 feet on a property that the company I sub for needed help and it was not touched once during a big storm. I do have a cheap craftsman (got for a back up) that had a 5hp motor that would bog even with a few inches. Had to buy a bigger motor for the thing.
  3. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

There was a time when Tecumseh engines were second to none. You got a good one, 15 yrs was toward the end for Tecumseh. Not sure about your ariens, they have a good rep? My 9hp 26" craftsman is an absolute monster.
  4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

I think JMH is right in the consumer edition versus the pro edition. I would check the belts though, they might be glazed or loose. When you get them from the big boxes the belts might not be adjusted the right way. The units sounds like is working real hard but only throws the snow 8ft. Seems like you end up replacing the belts every year any more because they dry out during the summer. And the smaller belt you can only get from Ariens too
  5. PPP

PPP Member

Something isn't right. Unless the engine is out of tune I would also agree with checking the belts. I have a new Platinum 30. At the beginning of the season it was an animal by mid season it was gutless. The cables need adjustment to keep proper tension on the belts as they wear. There are a few models mine was one of them that had a defective nylon bushing that would wear out on the pivot point that engages the drive pulleys. This can cause excessive slipping of the belts under heavy load.
  6. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Replace the spark plug and clean and adjust the carb. My friend had the same problem. After only using his blower a half a dozen times it would do the same thing. He took it to the shop. They did those two things and now not only does it run much quieter it no longer bogs down. Would have thought to do that with something so new but it worked.
  7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I leaning with the others on your carb is clogged up.

Does it run better with the choke on?

Did you store it over the summer with gas in it?
    If so

Remove the carb and run carb cleaner threw all of the circuits .
  8. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Make sure one of your sheer pins isn't broken. When one is broken they are dogs. Just see if one auger spins freely with the machine off.
  9. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Ariens
    Hydro Pro Track 28
    Model: 926056
    It has the 420cc (21 ft/lbs) Motor but runs great! Bigger motor than on yours.
    The new gas with ethanol in it is about the number 1 killer of small engines.
    If is sounds OK check the belts. If is is running bad clean out the carb and run only gas with no ethanol.
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I have a Ariens Platinum Series Deluxe 30 that the belts failed during the big storm recently. I kick myself for not checking them prior to the storm. The difference in performance is unreal. It throws wet snow a good 15ft high. Each customer I have hasn't ever seen the blower since I haven't needed to use it for a few years. I can shovel a small amount faster than using the blower so I never needed to break it out. All of them made comments about the distance it would throw the snow. I'm very happy with the blower and brand.
  11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

When the heck was that? 1922? Tecumseh has ALWAYS been the WORST OF THE WORST. The finickiest pieces of crap that would only start if you held your dick just right.
  12. jasonv

from kannada

You're at 10% less power on the new one. The 254cc engine is 9 hp. Comparing that to a 10 hp, it is obviously less. It could also be running the auger at a different (higher) ratio, in order to get that big advertised "50 foot throwing distance". Yep, 50 feet, when you're throwing an inch of fluffy stuff, vs bogged the heck down when you're trying to dig out the heavy deep stuff. The spec sheet actually says "3 ft - 50 ft", and since it is a fixed single ratio drive, the only reason it would have such a range is "bogged - minimal".

I'm not fond of the drive on those things... its main drive is a belt, its wheels run on a rubber disk (they call it "Disc-O-Matic", but it translates to "CRAP"). About the WORST setup imaginable.
  13. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I don't know about your area but out here in Jersey all our gas has 10 percent ethanol & it's a killer like you said. The only way to combat the ethanol problem is by using high test gas plus an additive like Startron Enzime treatment.
  14. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have one place that sells 87 oct. with no ethanol.
    The other way is buy Aviation Gas called 100LL it also has no ethanol and you can let it sit for years. It will not turn into brown sludge after 6 months. I use it - you can put something away and a year later it will start right up.
  15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

did you silicone the shoot and auger?, the ariens commercial are far better machines....built more like the 30 yr old ones
  16. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Tecumseh was always the best engine you could have for a snow blower. They would start right up even on the coldest day. I still prefer a 25 Year old Tecumseh over a new Briggs & Scatta any day! And those no name Chinese Honda clones that come on 90 percent of the new snow blowers are the biggest piece of crap.
  17. jasonv

from kannada

While briggs may not be the greatest, they always were 10x better than tecumseh (which is actually the brand that never starts). The chinese honda clones can vary a bit in quality, but are next best to an *actual* honda -- at least they copy something that is genuinely good.